Surface filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flip_lx

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been notcing an increase in the amount of hair floating around on the top of my tank and was wondering the best way to filter or remove it? My little furball has finally gained an interest in the aquarium and the way my lighting is set up i can't use a lid to keep his hair out (the feet clamp to inside of the tank satellite style) I try to get it during PWC and what not but since it floats my canister doesn't touch it any suggestions?

I know exactly what you mean, I have 5 cats and fur in the tank is a problem for me. I net it out as I haven't found a way to ensure it will go any other way. Fortunately the one tank they like to lie on has a canopy.

Could you place a paper towel on the surface of the water and have the hair stick to the paper towel?

that sounds like an idea, have to give it a shot once my food all drops down. i'll let you know how it goes as trying to net it out doesn't seem to work in my case (think the hole in my net are a bit to big)

Something else I think that might sound a bit gross but would work is a toothbrush. The hairs can get stick in between bristles. Some of my friends (all girls) lived in an apartment together and there was hair in the carpet. Running a toothbrush over the carpet picked up hair like a charm. It might work in an aquarium too. I recommend using a roommate's toothbrush.

I recommend using a new toothbrush, who knows if your room mate has disgusting stuff in his/her/its teeth or does not rinse the toothpaste out very well.

best way i have found is a Brine shrimp net a large one, cat hair will go right through the larger regular nets.............

looks at carpet :( dang it i just vacuumed yesterday!

My cats have actually stopped drinking out of their water dish, they only drink aquarium water now (must be the fishy taste). The only real way I've found is just daily cleaning with a fish net.

ok tried the paper towel method didn't really work, bout the second after brushing against the water the hair would fall off if even a drip came off the towel. No roomemate to steal a toothbrush from but i may give that a shot. Also to gloat i've got no carpet in my apt save the bedroom so its very easy to clean up anything that gets spelt :p go go mop

try a strainer, even a small strainer, run it across the top and it will catch the hair and let the water pass with ease. I use it to weed out duckweed and dog hair when it gets in there..

I also know hwo you feel! its frustrating lol I don't even bother to try and get ti form the tank, I go right for the source, everytime my cat gets up there I spray it with a water bottle, she's starting to not get up there as much now!!

Back
Top Bottom