Surprise gift advice needed!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mtl Parrothead

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I had begun a fishless cycle on a 55g (getting back into the hobby). I came home Saturday to find my wife and kids trying to be nice and surprise me bought 3 guppies and a platy.

I spoke with the store they refuse to allow me to return the fish. So looks like I’m doing a fish in cycle. I am not completely clueless but not an expert.

I am using an API freshwater kit, I tested the water yesterday and this morning it does not show any signs of ammonia which surprised me.

I am planning a 50% water change later today once I get home, I use prime to condition the water.

Is it possible the 4 small fish are not enough of a bio-load to cycle with? It is lightly planted with a pool filter sand substrate I’m running a fluval c4 filter.

Thanks

Yes more then likely there just hasn't been enough time for the fish to produce enough waste. Don't add anymore fish and keep testing. When ammonia gets between .25 and .5 then do a water change.

I figured it was just time. My issue is I’m familiar with fishless not the fish in and googled it. I read you need 1-2 fish per 10 gallons to cycle that didn’t seem logical to me. I really do not want to add anymore fish!

I guess no need to do a water change yet I’ll just keep testing

So i forgot to mention something important originally, I had quite a bit of seeded material from a heavily stocked tanked. That was the reason I believe I didn’t see the ammonia I saw trace nitrite for a couple days, since the 14th only nitrate between 5-10ppm.

As few more fish and plants were added all levels are still great

Back
Top Bottom