Suspicious readings.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ginoespo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

I'm relatively new to all this but I'll start with what I have.

Its a 36"x24"x15" tropical aquarium with a Allpondsolutions 1000ef external filter using a skimmer and a Tetra Tec APS150 for an air curtain and airstone. I also fitted a UV sterilizer. My filter media consists of ceramic rings, bio balls & activated carbon.
I've listened to my LFS and stupidly went on a fish-in cycle. Started with 9 tiger barbs, sadly now down to 7. Been doing 25% WC every day.

Anyway, my readings started with Ammonia, no nitrite, no nitrate and good PH. Then the Ammonia went, the Nitrite went sky high for a while, no nitrate, still good ph. Now I have no ammonia, no nitrate and trace ( -2ppm) nitrite. Good ph.
I would assume that my tank is cycled but I'm suspicious because the nitrate is too low.
What do you all think ? Am I right to be suspicious ?

Thanks for any advice.:confused:

I would suspect a mistake in the test. The nitrate test is super easy to mess up. Make sure that on step 2 where you shake bottle #2 or 30 seconds that you are shaking the solution bottle, not your vial. Shake very vigorously!
Then of course after #2 drops you shake the vial itself for one minute.

Do you mean .2 nitrite instead of -2? I might suggest, if you're not already, tracking your results and the date of the test for each test. I thought one thing until I started doing this. It gives you a great visual. Google Docs or Microsoft Excel comes in handy here.

Sent from my mobile aquarium device

I agree with Threnjen, but have you added any floating plants (or any plants) or done any water changes? If so that could add to something.

For future reference to any others this is a 56 gallon tank.

Back
Top Bottom