Swapping 75's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abrinn23

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My current 75 cracked again and I'm wondering how long can the beneficial bacteria in my 2 emperor 400 filters survive without water flowing through it?

abrinn23 said:
My current 75 cracked again and I'm wondering how long can the beneficial bacteria in my 2 emperor 400 filters survive without water flowing through it?

Do you have any old tank water left? If not
I would think just being able to keep
Conditioned Water in it would be ok, maybe if you have a container big enough to let the filter run in maybe?

I would try to save some of old water and let the bio-wheels soak in it. It may help save BB.

I don't think I have a container big enough for them but I still have the tank water. Should I put it in a bucket and submerge the bio wheels and filter pad in it?

abrinn23 said:
I don't think I have a container big enough for them but I still have the tank water. Should I put it in a bucket and submerge the bio wheels and filter pad in it?

That's what I would do. Main thing is to keep the media wet. Also it probably wouldn't hurt to maybe put in some fish food so there's food
For the BB, or if you did a fishless cycle you could dose some ammonia.

That should work. If ya have an air pump, drop an air stone in there to provide some surface agitation for gas exchange, and then drop a bit of food in to decay and create ammonia as already suggested.

WYite

Nevermind found a huge cooler to work with. Filled it with tank water, dropped the rocks and plants, and then hooked up the filters. The filters were only off for maybe two minutes at the most so I think they're fine :)

abrinn23 said:
Nevermind found a huge cooler to work with. Filled it with tank water, dropped the rocks and plants, and then hooked up the filters. The filters were only off for maybe two minutes at the most so I think they're fine :)

Glad you found something to work! I would let the filter run for a while then test water just to double check things haven't been affected just
To be safe.

Sounds like a good plan to me! On a side note, switching these tanks is the biggest pain in the world..

Alright so the hard part is finished, moving the substrate, now should I use the tank water I saved? Or does it not matter

There isn't any reason either to use or not to use the water ya saved. All the bacteria are on the gravel, decor, and in the filter media. Very little if any beneficial bacteria is suspended in the water. Personally, I'd use fresh water, making sure to dechlorinate it prior to adding in to the new tank.

WYite

Back
Top Bottom