Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-07-2014, 10:47 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Swapping Tanks

Hi! I think this qualifies as a getting started question, so here goes.
I have a 20 gallon planted freshwater tank that has been up and running for 2 1/2 years with 3 pink zebra danios, 2 otos, 2 female sunset platys and a few fry. The platys are the root of my problem. When I got livebearers, I guess I didn't realize just how many babies they could really have! So after many trips to the LFS with bags of platys, I have rehomed all but two of our big mamas. I guess I have a great bacterial filter in the tank because after being severely over populated for a long time, when I tested water params after no water change, it was Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, NitrAte 40ppm. Even with the overcrowding I have had little disease, and few deaths. I have had a few cases of what looked like chronic wasting, something that looked like ich, but only affected 1 fish at a time, and lost 2 danios to what looked like TB.

I just recently rescued 2 goldfish, 1 common, 1 comet, and currently have them in my spare 2 1/2 gallon, but they are growing rapidly. I traded my platys for a 10 gallon and would now like to move the tropicals into the 10 gallon, and the goldfish into the 20 for now. The 10 gallon is cycling nicely, the goldfish are beautiful, healthy and sweet, and all the fish in the 20 are healthy and happy and get along great.

So here's the question. I want to move the goldfish into the tank that is well cycled and established, but there has been some disease in there. Since it is planted with healthy, well established plants, emptying and sterilizing the tank is not an option. How can I ensure that my goldfish will not get sick when I move them in?

Thank you for any advice you can give!

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated
-M. Gandhi
laurelhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 02:20 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

It really depends... What is the disease that you are dealing with?

Old 10-09-2014, 04:14 AM   #3

Hi Mebbid!

Not sure exactly what disease/s I'm dealing with, but I'm pretty sure chronic wasting in the platies and TB in the danios. Again, not all fish were affected. I raised the temp in the tank and added salt and the fish responded beautifully. I've since lowered the temp back down to 74 and of course when the goldfish go in I will remove the heater.

Thanks!

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated
-M. Gandhi
Old 10-09-2014, 12:00 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurelhed View Post
Hi Mebbid!

Not sure exactly what disease/s I'm dealing with, but I'm pretty sure chronic wasting in the platies and TB in the danios. Again, not all fish were affected. I raised the temp in the tank and added salt and the fish responded beautifully. I've since lowered the temp back down to 74 and of course when the goldfish go in I will remove the heater.

Thanks!
So an internal parasite in the platies and an unlikely disease in the danios. Would you mind posting a pic of what makes you think its tb?
Old 10-10-2014, 03:40 AM   #5

The 2 I've lost have had the "S" curve to their bodies that I understand is indicative of TB. Of the 3 remaining, the 2 females look kind of "lumpy", but no. "S" curve. Not sure if that's normal or not. Will try for a decent pic!
Thank you!

-M. Gandhi

Tags
app, swap, tan, tank, tanks

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com