Swim Bladder Meds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smallfry

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My favorite fish (Mr. Blue - neon blue dwarf gourami) passed away over night. :cry: :cry: :cry: All symptoms point to Swim Bladder malfunction. In researching, I found that the bacteria causing this problem is contagious and can be spread to other fish in the tank. Has anyone had experience keeping exposed fish from succumbing to this disorder?

I know I should use an antibiotic, but not sure which type/brands. Would Maracyn II work? The other fish exposed are: a pleco, panda cories, rainbowfish, cherry barbs and otos. I need meds that aren't harmful to the catfish/pleco.

Thank you.
:( :(

It's interesting on the spread of disease--some fish will not pick it up. If you feel you need to treat the tank, I recommend a kanamycin based product, such as Kanaplex. It is safe for all fish, AFAIK, and your filter.

Thanks Menagerie....I just PM'd Tankgirl and was going to PM you also.....you two are the "experts", in my book when it comes to meds so I was hoping one of you would reply.

:)

In your opinion would it be rougher on the fish for me to treat them preventively since nobody is showing symptoms? On the other hand...my gourami had only 24 hours from the time he showed visible symptoms to the time he was dead.... :(
Thanks again! I just don't want to lose more fishies...I'm still so sad about my gourami...he was such a gem. :cry:

It's a tough call. Other things may have come into play with Mr. Blue, such as age and overall health. The other fish may never get it. That is a large tank to treat with Kanaplex simply in the water. Although, it's safe enough to treat them with Kanaplex, IMO. Put the Kanaplex in food for the suggested number of days.

Back
Top Bottom