Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-24-2012, 12:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

switched from gravel to sand.

Hello. So last night I switched from gravel to sand. Bought a 30 lb bag of TOP FIN oolite aragonite sand for a 20 gallon tank. Also installed the fluval 306 I also got yesterday. Took all the gravel out syphoned out half of the water, washed the sand put it in the tank and filled the tank back up with fresh treated water. Now the water is really cloudy. Not sure if the sand isn't settling or its because of the water change and the new filter. I did leave the marine land 200 in it for the beneficial bacteria so they can establish themselves in the new media in the fluvial. Also I see that the goldfish are sucking in and spitting up the sand. Is that normal?? Also I got 3 live plants if it changes anything. So should I be worried about the cloudiness, is there a certain time period to when it should clear up?

Old 11-24-2012, 03:11 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

The cloudiness is natural. It will go away as the sand settles. No matter how much you wash sand there will always be at least a little clouding. Just give it a couple days.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:35 PM   #3
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

I actually disagree on sand cloudiness. I use pfs now in my Goldie tanks and never experienced any cloudiness. The aragonite sand is very fine sand. I am curious why you chose this because it's going to affect your ph?
Old 11-24-2012, 06:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The sand spitting is totally normal. They play with it. My calico telescope even takes it in...then floats without fin motion until she is above my BN pleco...then spits it on her head and darts away. Ha ha!
Old 11-24-2012, 06:54 PM   #5
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryFan
The sand spitting is totally normal. They play with it. My calico telescope even takes it in...then floats without fin motion until she is above my BN pleco...then spits it on her head and darts away. Ha ha!
+1
Definitely agree! Eating/spitting sand is normal.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:07 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Its just what they had in the store and I like how pure it looks. I tested the water today and my ph does seem to be a bit high, looks like its at 7.8 is there a natural way to get it down to 7.5 I don't want to use chemicals to bring it down. When i set up the fluval yesterday I added poly fill and a packet of algone to the media trays. All the other readings are a bit high which is expected when most of the water has been changed out. Oh and today it looks a lot clearer then yesterday.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20121124_180626.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	133773
Old 11-24-2012, 07:15 PM   #7
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

With this sand in there, there honestly is little you can do to reduce the ph. Don't be surprised if it peaks higher than what it is now. Your amm test has a glare on it so I am not sure what this reads but your nitrites 'look' in the pic extremely high. I would work on some 50% water changes to drop this below .25ppm. The water changes should also reduce the cloudiness.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:20 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

This sand should hold your pH somewhere around 7.8 or so. It's just the nature of aragonite.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:20 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlk
Your amm test has a glare on it so I am not sure what this reads but your nitrites 'look' in the pic extremely high. I would work on some 50% water changes to drop this below .25ppm. The water changes should also reduce the cloudiness.
The ammonia is reading at. 50 ppm. I will do a 50% water change now.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:35 AM   #10
Look It Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravereaper0 View Post
The ammonia is reading at. 50 ppm. I will do a 50% water change now.
I would do more than one 50% water change. Nitrites look to be pretty high, about 5. A 50% water change will bring it down to about 2.5 (assuming it isn't higher than 5 to begin with) which is still high for fish. Another 50% would bring it down to 1.25 which is better, but borderline. You might want to to a few 50% water changes throughout the day today.

librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gravel, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com