Switching to sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lexi420

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi. :) I have a betta and 2 cories in my 5 gal. I bought the cories before I knew they should be kept in 6s because Petco people are stupid. I also bought them before I knew they like sand.

Sooooo I'm doing a half sand, half gravel tank :)

I have a 2 gal container for my cories to go into while the process is happening and a vase for my betta to go into.

My question is how long does it take for the sand to settle? I don't want my fish to be kept out of tank for too long due to stress and the bacteria levels falling.

Would they be okay overnight or should I wait until tomorrow morning to switch?

Also how do I go about sand and my filter? Does it get stuck?

1) make sure u rinsed your sand
2) switch ur filter off
3) net ur fish out
4) pop in the sand
5) leave it for 5 mins ( no filter running)
6) put ur fish back in the sand won't cause any harm to ur fish as it's treated and put ur filter back on
Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Are you going to put the sand on top of the gravel, or remove the gravel and have just sand?

If you put sand on top of gravel, eventually the sand will work its way to the bottom, and the gravel will be on top.

What I did was take all the rocks out and all the water and I cleaned the walls of my tank. I put the sand in about 1/4, 1/3 of the tank and did gravel the rest. No cloudiness, nothing. My cories stay on the sand- they love it :).

I didn't do the whole tank sand because I heard bettas confuse sand with food so I make sure to feed her over the gravel.

Back
Top Bottom