Swordtail Sex Change!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heiko

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey,

I have had my swordtails for a couple of weeks now and when i origonally bought them i had a breeding pair. But now 2 weeks have passed the female has a fully developed sword. What the hell is going on???

Ive heard of some livebearers changing sex if there were no males but in this case there was a male. Is my little guy just not enough of a man? :cry:

Its a bummer now cos ive got 2 males and they are as you can guess constantly fighting.

Any ideas? :?

really because it was alot bigget than the male i bought with it. And it hasnt grown any its just got a sword.

This is normal for swordtails and many people think it is just an old tail however the comment made above is true, it was clearly not devolped.

It is believed to be a trait to ensure survival in the wild, not having all males of a particular brood maturing at the same time.

OK,

Thanks everyone. Just need to shift one of them now.

One is smaller, shyer and much more colourful whereas the other is bigger, less colourful and more boysterous. Which do you recon i should keep? :fadein:

Back
Top Bottom