talk to me about "Pee Ponics"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

christine2012

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm considering this as I can't find ammonia w/o surfactants ANYWHERE. Thoughts? I'm still gathering supplies so I'm not gonna be doing this anytime soon, just researching atm.

jetajockey said:
I've not heard of that specifically. I'm guessing it involves using urine for tank cycling or plant fertilization?

Fishless cycling. Some suggest using aged human urine as an ammonia source. I'd like see if anyone on here has tried it.

I've seen people suggest it. Can't say that I'd suggest it though, just imagine the thought of sticking your hand in a toilet every time you did something in your tank. Use a raw shrimp or 3 if you can't find any ammonia

mfdrookie516 said:
I've seen people suggest it. Can't say that I'd suggest it though, just imagine the thought of sticking your hand in a toilet every time you did something in your tank. Use a raw shrimp or 3 if you can't find any ammonia

That's where I am on it at this point. I think what I'm looking for is for someone to convince me to try it.
>.< raw shrimp is my backup plan!

Yeah I don't think I could do that. I work in a hospital and I still don't think I could put pee in my tank...good luck though if you give it a run... :/

hcourts said:
Yeah I don't think I could do that. I work in a hospital and I still don't think I could put pee in my tank...good luck though if you give it a run... :/

Haha thanks. I'm nowhere near convinced yet.

I would take rookies advice and go for the shrimp... Is there any way you could get some seeded filter media?? That's the route I used and it was smooth sailing

Have you tried the Ace Hardware store locator? Or do you have a Dollar Tree in your area? As a last resort, amazon sells the ace stuff as well as quite a few other brands. I have read stories before of people peeing in their tanks to provide an ammonia source but I can only imagine how bad their homes smelled... If you do try it, I am curious as well as to how this turns out!

hcourts said:
I would take rookies advice and go for the shrimp... Is there any way you could get some seeded filter media?? That's the route I used and it was smooth sailing

Yes I have a well established tank with extra media seeding just for this.

jlk said:
Have you tried the Ace Hardware store locator? Or do you have a Dollar Tree in your area? As a last resort, amazon sells the ace stuff as well as quite a few other brands. I have read stories before of people peeing in their tanks to provide an ammonia source but I can only imagine how bad their homes smelled... If you do try it, I am curious as well as to how this turns out!

The closest ace is thirty miles for me, and I live just south of DC so 30 miles feels more like 50 with local traffic . Ill definitely look for a Dollar Tree. Thanks!

I've used blue ribbon brand from dollar tree myself when running some tests, so hopefully you'll be able to find it.

I don't like the idea of peeing into the tank for another reason besides the ones given. Since it's waste there's who knows what in it, chemical wise, hormones, anything, just stuff I wouldn't want to put in a contained system if I could help it.

jetajockey said:
I've used blue ribbon brand from dollar tree myself when running some tests, so hopefully you'll be able to find it.

I don't like the idea of peeing into the tank for another reason besides the ones given. Since it's waste there's who knows what in it, chemical wise, hormones, anything, just stuff I wouldn't want to put in a contained system if I could help it.

Jeta, that's exactly what I'm thinking. I drink way too much coffee for this. I know urine is supposedly sterile, however that says nothing about things that pass through urine. I just found out my husband passes a dollar tree on his way from work, I'll have him check for me.

I just found 100% Ammonia at Walgreens. The label says Nice! Clear Ammonia. Ingredients are listed as water and ammonium hydroxide. I am getting ready to start a fishless cycle now.

Fisherlander said:
I dont have the link, but dr. Tim's aquatics has pre-measured bottles of ammonia that are made specifically for fish less cycling. Just search "dr tims ammonia" and you should find it. (very cheap, u can order online) worked wonders for my tank

Edit-
Found it!!!: https://store.drtimsaquatics.com/Ammonium-Chloride-Solution-for-Fishless-Cycling_p_190.html

Great! I am about to order a few things from Dr Tim. If I can't find it locally then I'll definitely order it from him.

dancechauffeur said:
I just found 100% Ammonia at Walgreens. The label says Nice! Clear Ammonia. Ingredients are listed as water and ammonium hydroxide. I am getting ready to start a fishless cycle now.

Thanks! I didn't think to look there.

Back
Top Bottom