Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-01-2012, 08:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

talk to me about "Pee Ponics"

I'm considering this as I can't find ammonia w/o surfactants ANYWHERE. Thoughts? I'm still gathering supplies so I'm not gonna be doing this anytime soon, just researching atm.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:54 PM   #2
come get me tang police!

I've not heard of that specifically. I'm guessing it involves using urine for tank cycling or plant fertilization?

Old 07-01-2012, 09:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey
I've not heard of that specifically. I'm guessing it involves using urine for tank cycling or plant fertilization?
Fishless cycling. Some suggest using aged human urine as an ammonia source. I'd like see if anyone on here has tried it.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:24 PM   #4
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I've seen people suggest it. Can't say that I'd suggest it though, just imagine the thought of sticking your hand in a toilet every time you did something in your tank. Use a raw shrimp or 3 if you can't find any ammonia

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:28 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516
I've seen people suggest it. Can't say that I'd suggest it though, just imagine the thought of sticking your hand in a toilet every time you did something in your tank. Use a raw shrimp or 3 if you can't find any ammonia
That's where I am on it at this point. I think what I'm looking for is for someone to convince me to try it.
>.< raw shrimp is my backup plan!
Old 07-01-2012, 09:30 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I wonder how many people saw my thread title and had their stomachs turn at the thought. Lol!
Old 07-01-2012, 10:38 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah I don't think I could do that. I work in a hospital and I still don't think I could put pee in my tank...good luck though if you give it a run... :/
Old 07-01-2012, 10:41 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcourts
Yeah I don't think I could do that. I work in a hospital and I still don't think I could put pee in my tank...good luck though if you give it a run... :/
Haha thanks. I'm nowhere near convinced yet.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:48 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would take rookies advice and go for the shrimp... Is there any way you could get some seeded filter media?? That's the route I used and it was smooth sailing
Old 07-01-2012, 11:56 PM   #10
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

Have you tried the Ace Hardware store locator? Or do you have a Dollar Tree in your area? As a last resort, amazon sells the ace stuff as well as quite a few other brands. I have read stories before of people peeing in their tanks to provide an ammonia source but I can only imagine how bad their homes smelled... If you do try it, I am curious as well as to how this turns out!
Old 07-02-2012, 12:42 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcourts
I would take rookies advice and go for the shrimp... Is there any way you could get some seeded filter media?? That's the route I used and it was smooth sailing
Yes I have a well established tank with extra media seeding just for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlk
Have you tried the Ace Hardware store locator? Or do you have a Dollar Tree in your area? As a last resort, amazon sells the ace stuff as well as quite a few other brands. I have read stories before of people peeing in their tanks to provide an ammonia source but I can only imagine how bad their homes smelled... If you do try it, I am curious as well as to how this turns out!
The closest ace is thirty miles for me, and I live just south of DC so 30 miles feels more like 50 with local traffic . Ill definitely look for a Dollar Tree. Thanks!
Old 07-02-2012, 12:50 AM   #12
come get me tang police!

I've used blue ribbon brand from dollar tree myself when running some tests, so hopefully you'll be able to find it.

I don't like the idea of peeing into the tank for another reason besides the ones given. Since it's waste there's who knows what in it, chemical wise, hormones, anything, just stuff I wouldn't want to put in a contained system if I could help it.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:37 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey
I've used blue ribbon brand from dollar tree myself when running some tests, so hopefully you'll be able to find it.

I don't like the idea of peeing into the tank for another reason besides the ones given. Since it's waste there's who knows what in it, chemical wise, hormones, anything, just stuff I wouldn't want to put in a contained system if I could help it.
Jeta, that's exactly what I'm thinking. I drink way too much coffee for this. I know urine is supposedly sterile, however that says nothing about things that pass through urine. I just found out my husband passes a dollar tree on his way from work, I'll have him check for me.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:11 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I dont have the link, but dr. Tim's aquatics has pre-measured bottles of ammonia that are made specifically for fish less cycling. Just search "dr tims ammonia" and you should find it. (very cheap, u can order online) worked wonders for my tank

Edit-
Found it!!!: https://store.drtimsaquatics.com/Amm...ing_p_190.html
Old 07-04-2012, 03:20 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

I even used fish food to get ammonia up
Old 07-04-2012, 06:30 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I just found 100% Ammonia at Walgreens. The label says Nice! Clear Ammonia. Ingredients are listed as water and ammonium hydroxide. I am getting ready to start a fishless cycle now.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:33 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherlander
I dont have the link, but dr. Tim's aquatics has pre-measured bottles of ammonia that are made specifically for fish less cycling. Just search "dr tims ammonia" and you should find it. (very cheap, u can order online) worked wonders for my tank

Edit-
Found it!!!: https://store.drtimsaquatics.com/Amm...ing_p_190.html
Great! I am about to order a few things from Dr Tim. If I can't find it locally then I'll definitely order it from him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancechauffeur
I just found 100% Ammonia at Walgreens. The label says Nice! Clear Ammonia. Ingredients are listed as water and ammonium hydroxide. I am getting ready to start a fishless cycle now.
Thanks! I didn't think to look there.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com