Tank advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vstevens

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 10 gallon tank currently home to a dwarf Guarami, blue Guarami and a pictus catfish. I also have a 3 gallon with a beta.
I have now been told I have too many fish a too big a bioload for my 10 gal.
So what if I rehomed my guarmis, and moved my beta to the 10 gal and added some ghost shrimp?
What about the catfish?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Really the only fish that would be okay in the 10 gallon would be the Dwarf Gourami, because it stays small. The Blue Gourami will get to 5"-6", and same with the Pictus catfish.

The beta may or may not eat the ghost shrimp. Depends on the fish.
The pictus will eat anything it can fit in its mouth. According to LiveAquaria.com, they get to ~5" and require a minimum of 70 gallons. AquariumFish.net recommends 40g. I suppose it is not so much for their size but their activity.

According to the website, it's a sin to have a tank smaller than 20 gal.
But there are plenty of people who have that set up in a 10.

Keeping fish in a tank that is too small is very similar to keeping a dog in a crate its whole life. Its a cruel practice. I wish my fish would fit happily in a 10g tank but thats just not tbe case.

Live aquaria is pretty much the best place to go for tank sizes.

Setting up and stocking a 10g or less is possible but one would have to be diligent about maintaining decent water conditions since things can go bad quickly due to the low volume. Not only the size but type of fish would need to be taken in consideration. For instance, a 1" bumble bee goby would have different tank size requirements than a 1" zebra danio (first one spends most of the time "resting" while the other is a very active non-stop swimmer). Yes, there are limitations with stocking smaller tanks.

I have a 10 gallon tank currently home to a dwarf Guarami, blue Guarami and a pictus catfish. I also have a 3 gallon with a beta.
I have now been told I have too many fish a too big a bioload for my 10 gal.
So what if I rehomed my guarmis, and moved my beta to the 10 gal and added some ghost shrimp?
What about the catfish?

You would want to rehome the pictus as well, they get large and are super active. I wouldn't recommend them in a tank smaller than 75 gallons.

The betta/ghost shrimp setup would be a definite stock improvement, but don't be surprised if the betta snaps one day and kills the shrimp. Every betta is different - some fare well with other tankmates, others don't. At any rate though, it would be leaps and bounds better than what you currently have.

Great advice so far from everyone.

Stocking a ten gallon is pretty tricky sometimes in the beginning, but there are a growing amount of nano fish that would find ten gallons appropriate. Here's a simple list of other fish that would work in that size tank:

Celestial pearl danio
Dwarf emerald rasbora
Chili rasbora (or any other micro rasbora)
Clown killies
Least killies
Endlers
Dwarf puffers
Spotted blue eyed rainbow fish
Pygmy gourami
Honey gourami
Green neon tetras
Ember tetras
Pygmy cories
Red cherry shrimp

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, the Guaramis and catfish have been adopted... And I have cleaned out the 10. In a few days I'll move my beta into the 10 and out of his 3.

Great advice so far from everyone.

Stocking a ten gallon is pretty tricky sometimes in the beginning, but there are a growing amount of nano fish that would find ten gallons appropriate. Here's a simple list of other fish that would work in that size tank:

Celestial pearl danio
Dwarf emerald rasbora
Chili rasbora (or any other micro rasbora)
Clown killies
Least killies
Endlers
Dwarf puffers
Spotted blue eyed rainbow fish
Pygmy gourami
Honey gourami
Green neon tetras
Ember tetras
Pygmy cories
Red cherry shrimp

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

you forgot shelldwellers- multies work in a 10 for sure!

How many ghost shrimp should I / could I put with the beta?

Back
Top Bottom