Tank Bottom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Karegg

Aquarium Advice Activist
What's an appropriate material to put at the bottom of the tank to keep gravel substrate and decorations from scratching/breaking the glass without letting anaerobic bacteria develop?

Standard gravel is usually smooth enough to not cause any concern. If you plan on using heavy decor, eggcrate can help to keep it from touching the bottom.

Neil nailed it on the head. In my tanks with lots of rocks I use eggcrate, in my other tanks, I use plain pool filter sand which does require occasional stirring.

I use egg crate in the 150. The Africans dig around that sand so much that no matter how stable the rock structure, they end up pushing it over. It's a little piece of mind. You can buy it at Home Depot, Lowes, or most hardware stores in the lighting section.

I'd heard of using the egg crate, just wasn't sure of what material it should be. Like, I can imagine that cardboard would be a bad idea.

It's plastic, not really what eggs actually come in. People use it in commercial buildings in the light fixtures. It looks like this:
eggCrate.jpg

That definitely doesn't look like something that should be called egg crate, but it'll do, thanks!

an underground filter never turned on works just as well.

Wouldn't that be a perfect breeding ground for anaerobic bacteria? Doesn't sound like a good idea to me, there needs to be water movement under UG filters to prevent anaerobic bacteria.

Wouldn't that be a perfect breeding ground for anaerobic bacteria? Doesn't sound like a good idea to me, there needs to be water movement under UG filters to prevent anaerobic bacteria.

The tank is 150g, set up in 1999, cycled 8 months w/UGF then the UGF was slowly (over the course of 6-9 months) turned off. There is between 1" > 4" natural gravel over it w/large boulders on top of some of it. Approx. 60 plants of all types (all doing well). No CO2 (yet). PMDD for ferts, though am going to singles after this runs out. Lighting is low-medium. There are approx 400 large fancy guppys and a dozen RCS. Water changes are 50% every 6 months with all water being syphoned out of the lift tubes using hose and a powerhead. Th gravel has never been vacuumed. There does not need to be water movement if the filter has never been used (I use it mainly as a cushion for the boulders), or has been turned off VERY slowly (over months).

There is absolutely no aenorobic bacteria beneath the bed. I purposely built the stand to be able to always check the filter bed. It is almost as clean as when it was installed 9 yrs ago (10 yrs, this August). Will post some photos soon.

Last edited:
I would be a little cautious of the UGF also because of the anaerobic gas buildup. It's not an issue with gravel like it is with sand. So if you are going to use a sand substrate, I'd go with the egg crate definitely. But if you have gravel, you could go either way.

Back
Top Bottom