Tank Brace?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rhino

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I have decided on the Marineland Emperor 400 power filter for my 36 gallon bowfront. However, the filter is 16.5" long. This would be fine if there was not a plastic brace like thing running through the middle of the top trim piece. Now my question is what is this piece for? Structural integrity for the tank? Support for the hood? If it is just support for the hood then no big deal because it never actually touches the hood it sits a quarter of an inch below the hood at most places and never touches it. Of course if it is for integrity of the tank then I don't want to mess with it. Fast responses would be best. I currently have a high WAF (wife acceptance factor) to do what I want with this project and funds ready (which need to be used before she decides she needs, God forbid, another purse or more shoes). Thanks in advance to all for your help.

That brace is a very important piece. It keeps the front from bowing out more, and it keep the back from bowing out. FWIW, an aquaclear 70 would be a much better choice

I would not touch the brace for the same reason as MFD said, but if you want to stick with Marineland run 2 Emperor 280's instead.

+1 for mfd. That brace allows the manufacturers to use thinner glass for their tanks. I have an old braceless 55g and the glass is twice as thick as a new 55g.

I too am a fan of AquaClears. If the Marineland won't fit, take it back for an AC70. The ACs are a little more expensive, but you get a lot more filter for your buck.

Actually, the center brace is the most important part of the thing. Breaking it (really easy to do on accident) means either resealing the tank with a new brace or getting a new tank completely or a new terrarium/riparium lol.

I got you. Originally I thought it was just the brace for the hood. Well looks like I will have to join the rest of the ac squad. How often, or do you, change the media in your aqua clear?

I never change the media in my ACs. I run the sponge and biomedia and I save the carbon for whenever I may need it. I clean the sponges and biomedia maybe once a month with old tank water and put it back in the filter.

Back
Top Bottom