Tank change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hairy_Harold

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am changing from a single 3ft tank to a 2teir 4ft with sump set up. I am using the gravel, internal filter and bioballs from my diy canister from the 3ft for the change. If I just add the gravel into one of the tanks and have completely new substrate in the other tank. Will this cause a mini cycle in the tank with the new substrate?

I didn't think it would really affect anything, I won't be adding new fish either untill the bacteria grows on the other bio balls in the sump then I will be removing the ones that I added from diy canister (if that makes sense).

With there being a complete substrate change in one tank and the gravel from teh 3ft being used in one of the 4fts with a little bit more added obviously. There will still be all the bacteria that is sustaining the fish anyway.

I am just making sure I understand everything before I do the swap as I don't wan to harm my fish. I have a saratoga leichardti (australian arowana) and would hate to lose him and of course would hate to lose any fish basically.

Back
Top Bottom