Tank cycled! Got my first fishies - what else should I get? *PICS*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

odenata

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I completed the fishless cycle on my 20 gallon long and got four peppered Corys Saturday evening. So far, they seem quite happy:

tank.jpg

driftwood.jpg

tent.jpg

The tent was chosen by my six year old, and she was so excited when some of the fish hid inside.

I was hoping to get some opinions on when I might add some more fish. I was thinking of waiting a week and getting either danios or tetras. My daughter likes the neon tetras, but they seem less hardy than danios - is that true? Would cardinal tetras be better?

Also still looking for a "centerpiece" fish, and am open to suggestions!

If you don't have an algae eater yet may I suggest a sting ray pleco (hillstream loach) they don't get very big and are soo cool looking, couldn't get a pic but you could google them. Dwarf gouramis also come in a lot of pretty colors.

If you fishless cycled you can definitely add more fish right away; in fact you should do so so that the bacteria don't adjust to the smaller bioload the Corys are putting out (very cute btw!). In a 20 long you have a good number of options. A school of fish would look great and there are lots to choose from: types of tetra, danios, etc.

As soon as I read the replies, I went out and got 8 neon tetras. They are acclimating right now. I would have liked to get red zebra danios, but they didn't have any (I'm limited to Petsmart at the moment - bah). Might have gone for cardinals, but there was a dead fish in the tank, so I didn't want to get any of those. Hopefully these little neons will make it.

sillygirl423 said:
If you don't have an algae eater yet may I suggest a sting ray pleco (hillstream loach) they don't get very big and are soo cool looking, couldn't get a pic but you could google them. Dwarf gouramis also come in a lot of pretty colors.

No plecos!!! Even the small ones need atleast 30g tanks and the Cory's will handle the job of the pleco

*edit* btw nice fish. I might have to get me some and I have 8 neons in my 40g and they are by far my favorite fish

No plecos!!! Even the small ones need atleast 30g tanks and the Cory's will handle the job of the pleco

*edit* btw nice fish. I might have to get me some and I have 8 neons in my 40g and they are by far my favorite fish

It's a shame, I think plecos are such neat fish. I really like the corys, though. They have so much personality - I didn't think I would like fish this much! I might get two more.

odenata said:
It's a shame, I think plecos are such neat fish. I really like the corys, though. They have so much personality - I didn't think I would like fish this much! I might get two more.

I do gave to agree, plecos are beautiful fish.
How many Cory's do you have already, in a 20 long I say you can have 6 with maybe 4 mollies (1male Molly to 3 females) and a schooling fish (6-8)

o.jonathan.o said:

Its not really a pleco it's a loach that looks like a mini stingray, I am not sure why they are sold under the name pleco.
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/pleco/stingray.php

odenata said:
I was thinking of getting some Glowlight or Harlequin Rasporas and then I would definitely be fully stocked.

Glolights would work maybe 6 with 6 Corys and 4 mollies

The corys are really cute! The tent is awesome as well :D yeh mollys are live bearers so do v easily reproduce..... We bought 1 silver molly - turns out she was pregnant, we now have 6! They tend to munch their fry though so if you want to keep any babies you must seperate them!

Don't mollies reproduce like platys and guppies though?

I love the look of black mollies, but have no interest in live bearers at the moment.

I finished up my stocking with 2 more peppered corys and 5 harlequin rasboras that are acclimating now. Woo-hoo!

I can totally see how this could get addictive. I wasn't even planning on getting fish on my way home, then I passed the store and thought....I have time to look at fish... :whistle:

Gonna need another tank soon, at this rate. :oops:

Back
Top Bottom