Tank Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rebel1970

Aquarium Advice Activist
OK What is the straight skinny here. I have been told to start a new tank to add Fritz-Zyme#7. Then I was told that that stuff is junk and to add SeaChem Stability. So which one is right, or are they both junk?

I feel a war coming, lol. I'd answer but I'm just testing this out myself with nutrafin cycle. I've done the normal fishless cycling and now I'm trying the bio-booster with a new tank to see for myself if it works.

I feel a war coming, lol. I'd answer but I'm just testing this out myself with nutrafin cycle. I've done the normal fishless cycling and now I'm trying the bio-booster with a new tank to see for myself if it works.

Yep .. this is one of those war starting issues. IMO ... I wont spend $$$ on bio/ bacteria in a bottle stuff when nature will provide it for free. I figure if I really need to cycle a tank quickly, I'll just acquire some seeding material.

While a newbie may not have access to seeding material, if I knew someone looking to get into this hobby, one of the things I'd tell them not to buy ... other than pH chemicals, is bio-booster/ bacteria.

IMO stability has been an aid to
Fishless but you have to use it about a week prior to adding fish ( especially in a " new " tank) definitely not an over night miracle. Nothing has been IMO even using seeded filter media ....

I have had mixed results with stability. The Best was when added near the end of a fishless cycle. Took a nitrite spike down to 0 in about 2 days if I remember right
( without fish )

I tried adding it to a hospital tank newly set up. Didn't help me much. I felt like I wasted a lot of money in that

Tank CYcling

Ok thanks for the info. Looks like my money stays in my pocket!!!! No one mentioned the Fritz Zyme #7, so I guess that is junk too. Works for me. No I don't have access to another cycled tank to steal from..lol
So I will play the waiting game.

You could try an "active" sponge filter from here. They are seeded sponge filters from angel fish tanks. Members on here have used them with mixed results, but it can get your cycle going. Worth a shot if you don't have access to other media and it'll either work or it won't but it won't harm anything. Just be sure it's an "active" sponge that you're buying and a not a regular one (they have both; some say "active" near them). You'll also need some airline tubing and an air pump to set it up.

I added Dr Tim's One and Only to my tank. According to his video he grows this particular bacteria himself. I am following the schedule he included and tracking the results. I also purchased ammonia from him. In the video he makes it look like you add the bacteria and add fish. I am not that brave. He has a schedule posted for fishless cycling with his ammonia and bacteria if anyone wants to check it out.

Back
Top Bottom