Tank Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frockmarten

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all! I have a question. We bought an 8.5 gal tank as a grow out tank for our fry of convict cichlids. Problem is, I can't get the nitrate and nitrite levels to go down. They are pretty high, and after 4 or 5 twenty percent water changes, using both tap water (with conditioner added, of course) and water from an established tank, the levels are still high. I am done talking to the folks at PetSmart about it, because I have gotten 3 different stories from them now, and none of their suggestions work! Any ideas?

Ok thats good. Do you have any fish in the tank? If you don't just give the bacteria time to process the nitrites.

If you do have fish in the tank large water changes (50%+) should be done to lower the nitrites.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I did have fish in there, but everything except the pleco died. He's holding on strong. Should I still just give it time to balance out?

I'd move the pleco to a cycled tank if you can, and then let things balance out.

No problem. You do know that the bacteria will only lower the nitrites and you will have to remove the nitrates with water changes.

Back
Top Bottom