Tank finally cycled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doctorb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been cycling my 35G tank for approximately 7 weeks now with raw shrimp. For the last little while I have had zero ammonia, despite adding 3 shrimp to the tank. When I first started the cycle, I had 2 shrimp in, and had to remove one of them as the ammonia was off the charts. This leads me to belive that the 3 rotting shrimp must be releasing a large amount of ammonia. I guess this means all of the ammonia is getting converted? Nitrites are currently at 1.5 ppm, after reaching a maximum of 5ppm earlier. Nitrates are currently at 20 ppm. Is it safe to start adding fish? or should my nitrites be at zero?

It still is not safe to add fish until the Nitrites are 0 ppm. The end is in sight.

I would bet your nitrItes will be 0 soon, say within the next day or so. When they reach 0, check your nitrAtes again, and do a water change if they are higher than 20. Then you can add fish! :multi:

Ok thanks guys, I'll keep waiting. Everyone I know is making fun of me for having an empty tank for so long :D

Yep, I wish I was a little more researched before I got into this. I'm cycling with 6 fish. I don't really mind the 50%-75% water changes daily/every other day though. Just afraid I'm harming the fishies. :(

I agree, you're almost there. Leave whatever shrimp still exists in there, and you're very close to being done. Leave those shrimp rotting away until the day before you're ready to stock, then do a big PWC, and add a tank full of fish!

Well NOW I think the tank is finally cycled. I was away for a few days, and when I checked today I have 0 ppm ammonia, 0 ppm nitrite and 20 ppm nitrate. So now I guess its time to remove the shrimp and do a big PWC. The water has been murky for awhile (from an algae bloom I guess), so should I do almost a full water change?

Back
Top Bottom