Tank ideas...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corycat

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone I'm very new to this, I got my first tank a while ago but only recently realized how wrong I did things. I am learning fast as I can!!

I want to run these ideas for fish mates for my tanks by you guys (yes plural lol I am soon to be getting number 3)
I am worried I have too many fish in my 90 ltr so when a friend offered me his (not sure exactly how many ltr but at least 120) I jumped at it. He has one zebra loach and I was wondering which out of my current fish that are spread between my two current tanks (mollys platys corys Danios and neon tetra) will get on the best?
I think I need to get a few more loaches as they need a group to be happy I think?
Will any do or do they need to be zebras?
Also i would LOVE a bristlenose in there too....I think those guys are super cute.
Would he be better in the 90 ltr with a few corys and/or little fish OR better in with the loaches? So many questions! !!!!
Thanks in advance :thanks:

Thanks!

Thanks.... ok will do. Will a bn fit in there too or should he be with the mollys in the 90 ltr?

120 Liters = 37g

A Zebra Loach would do best with more Zebra Loaches. Try maybe 3(?) more.

I would not add Cories to the Loach tank as they would be competing for same foods and swimming space.

I think Mollies or Platies would be fine. Neons might be a little too tiny ? Might get intimidated ?

BN are poop machines but yes, cute fish. I like at least 30g for BN. Should be ok with Loaches. Just have several safe caves and some bogwood. Just remember to feed your BN some nice veg or greens here and there. The Loaches LOVE live or frozen worms.

Some soft rounded sand would let the Loaches dig around.

Thanks so much, yes I did reserch and wondered about corys and loaches sharing space.
So corys and tetras and shrimp in 90
Loaches and bn and mollys and platys in the 120 (maybe a few shrimp or is that too much?)

Are zebras the best (for my tank at least ) type? I know they are smaller but another type that i cant remember the name of (serious head explosion from fish facts going on here!!!!!!) pops up as good comunity tank loaches.
Should I get few different types or stick to all the same?
I love the idea of them talking/clicking to me, will that happen if it's a mixed tank?
Sorry to ask so man questions:blink::eek:

120 Liters = 37g

Sorry I just re read your reply, zebra loaches do best together. Cool I will stick to just them.

BN are poop machines but yes, cute fish. I like at least 30g for BN. Should be ok with Loaches. Just have several safe caves and some bogwood. Just remember to feed your BN some nice veg or greens here and there. The Loaches LOVE live or frozen worms.

Some soft rounded sand would let the Loaches dig around.

I plan on lots of hide holes, I have sand atm I switched from gravel to sand recently and I LOVE how excited my corys got!!!! They wiggled all over the place it was adorable.
Never till I discovered bn did I consider feeding veggies to fish.....not sure why it just never crossed my mind!!!! But I've read it a lot so when I get my Lil dude I will be sure to feed him good stuff.
Thanks again coursair

Larger groups of all same species are best IME.

Other small Loaches ?
Rosy Loaches
Dwarf Chain Loaches

Loaches Online has good info.

Your Shrimp might get eaten. Loaches are very good hunters. Dense woodpile or plants may keep a breeding population alive ?

That's it...chain loaches, they look nice but I will stick to zebra so they can be in a group. And no shrimp lol I guess there is no chance of fry if the loaches are good hunters.... I have molly fry in my 90 atm and probably platy fry too, im planning on keeping it an all female tank for 6 months to make sure no one is pregnant lol
Love you tanks btw

That's it...chain loaches, they look nice but I will stick to zebra so they can be in a group. And no shrimp lol I guess there is no chance of fry if the loaches are good hunters.... I have molly fry in my 90 atm and probably platy fry too, im planning on keeping it an all female tank for 6 months to make sure no one is pregnant lol
Love you tanks btw

Its easier to go all Male. I don't know how long females can store sperm.

I think (as far as can tell from my research) they can store it up to 6 months. So in few more months i should be in the clear lol. I have two male platys in a 40 ltr with 3 frogs and I was hoping to put my 4 female mollys in there with them (2 dalmatian and 2 black n gold) as i know they wont breed. Reckon that's ok space wise?

Back
Top Bottom