tank is just about finished cycling..now I Have algae!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

exactionfigure

Aquarium Advice Activist
My tank is just about done cycling, I was adding a bunch of food to increse the ammonia but I guess in turn that caused algae, here are some pics

there is brown spots
img_571180_0_6be2aae6a4acc2f86ea4054c899b9f83.jpg

and a hairy kind on the bottom of my driftwood
img_571180_1_b9c1bcae71b08fc9730a76c698068c2c.jpg

What can I do to get rid of it?
there are two guppies in there now and I have gone easy on the feeding but I don't know what to do about the algea, any suggestions??

thanks
-Matt

*The pics didn't format correctly*

But even without them, you have diatoms...a natural occurrence in a new tank. It's actually a good sign.

It can be removed quite easily, it just brushes off. It will also go away on it's own.

you can copy and paste to look at the pics. The first pic is diatoms. The second looks like.. beard algea (I think thats what its called)

img_571276_0_6be2aae6a4acc2f86ea4054c899b9f83.jpg

img_571276_1_b9c1bcae71b08fc9730a76c698068c2c.jpg

There ya go, sorry about that
What are diatoms?
will they go away?
so what should I do about the other algae?

BTW AshleyNicole You have been very helpful with all the tank questions I've had, thank you very much - i'm sure I'll have many more:)

The diatoms are not really algae. They are liitle organisms that feed of silicates. Just keep wiping them off, they will go away in a month or so. Does the other stuff come off easily and is it just on the wood. If it is take the wood out and boil it for 30 minutes or so. Then give it a good scrubing. That should do the trick.

Hmm... is there anything else I can do, I'd rather not take the wood out and boil it because of all the beneficial bacteria that I’m sure has grown in it

It’s only on the wood, anyone know what it's called?

If it is only on the wood wait and see. It may go away on its own as well. I have seen several other threads about strange growth on new drift wood that pretty much just went away as the wodd aged.

You have a very light bioload in that tank if you only have 2 guppies, so you don't likely have a TON of bacteria built up. Suggestion: Wait until your cycle is complete, and then follow rich's instructions on the wood. You should have enough bacteria built up on the substrate and in your filter media to pick up the slack, especially with such a small bioload. And then just wait a little bit before further stocking the tank, and stock it slowly--just a couple of fish at a time. I would think you should be fine.

I will boil it as a last resort, just because it was super hard to wedge the wood in the tank and I'd hate to have to do that again.

What about algae eaters?

thanks.
-Matt

why not just reach in and scrub it off? your filter should take care of whatever floats in the water when you scrub it.

See if it will vacuum off then. I dont know if it is algae it cound be a fungus that was in the driftwood. Where did the driftwood come from?

Well Oto's will eat the diatoms, as for the hairlike stuff on the wood, it depends on what it is. The Oto's might eat it, they might not. I think you should try to remove the problem though, instead of adding something to the tank to get rid of a problem (unless you plan on keeping them, AND you keep the water conditions during your cycle VERY GOOD).

while you do a gravel vac suction up the stuff ass you scrape it off the wood.

If the fuzz isn't in a highly noticeable area of the tank, you can just ingnore it, and it will go away. IMO, it's simply driftwood fungus, that is practically a normal occurence. There have been reports that Otocinculus Catfish that eat this fungus, and they will also take care of the diatoms, but I've never seen it with my own eyes.

Like said, probably not best to add the fish until your tank is fully cycled, as Otos are a quite senstive species. Be patient and things will go away (but may get worse before they get better).

HTH

ok cool, I will just see if I can suction it up because it's in a focal point of the tank and hopefully it will go away.

thanks guys

-Matt

I have the brown stuffi n my tank too its pretty easy to clean off and my snail loves it. I jsut take a sponge (aquarum safe one) and wipe it off. I think getting an oto would be your best bet. They stay small and won't bother you guppies, but wiat for your cycle to end.

Back
Top Bottom