Tank isn't cycling...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishFixation

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My little tank is torturing me with its strangeness.

I set it up nearly a month ago, on December 28th, and I began officially trying to cycle it about a week later (I had some botched attempts that caused me to start over). I got my ammonia up to about 2ppm with pure ammonia, and for a while I was getting low nitrite readings and low nitrate readings, Then I got distracted and didn't check the tank for a few days. When I checked it again, the ammonia had dropped to 0.25, and my nitrites AND nitrate were both zero.

Since then, I've been feeding the tank daily, but it's stagnant. Every day I add a drop of ammonia to get it back up to ~2ppm, but my nitrites and nitrates remain at zero. I wonder if the ammonia is just evaporating off.

It's been doing this for a week and a half now, with no signs of progress. What can I do to kick-start it? I tried some stuff called stability that claims to help establish the cycle, but it doesn't seem to be helping any. I've heard good things about bio-spira... This is so frustrating. :(

Any other thoughts about what would cause a tank to just not cycle at all? I'm tired of looking at my "silk plants and slimy piece of driftwood tank." I want a fishy!

I'm using the API liquid test kit. What's strange is that I was getting positive readings on the nitrites and nitrates a few weeks ago, but now they're both zero. I haven't done any water changes or anything, either. :/

I'm thinking that maybe you don't have enough nitrates to get a reading on your test, but they are there. Try this, dose the tank to 2ppm of ammonia daily for 7 days, then test your trates. Make doubel sure you are using the trate test correctly, sometimes it can be tricky.

You don't by chance have a live plant in the tank do you?

The advice I got on another thread was to raise the ammonia to closer to 5 ppm, then cut back a bit when nitrites start showing up, so I just added a few drops of ammonia and I'm waiting for them to mix in before I test again.

I am shaking the heck out of that second nitrate bottle - the full 30sec/1min, very vigorously. I don't know what the problem is.

The closest thing I have to a live plant is whatever slime is growing on my mopani driftwood... :eek: everything else is silk.

i wouldnt recommend anything higher than 4ppm on nitrates... its either 6 or 8ppm that will stall out the cycle, and you definitely dont wanna do that

well, it's a 3 gal tank that holds about 2.5 gal with the decorations in. A little goes a long way...

I started cycling my tank on dec 7 and just this week finally started seeing nitrites. So it just takes time.

You can try getting a media pad from your lfs or someone who has a saltwater tank you trust to kick start. You could also try the all forbidden cycle with fish in the tank (i.e. damsel for $6).

No, I don't have any mature media. That's why I was thinking of trying the biozyme or something. I don't want to import ich from the local fish store or anything... that's why I hesitate on that one.

As per doing fish-in, I've been sorely tempted, but I would go ahead with the betta if I'm going to do it that way. I don't want to buy any fish that I don't intend to keep if it lives.

Cycling with fish isn't that dangerous as long as you stay on top of the water conditions and make water changes as necessary. With such a small tank it'll be easy to do 50%+ water changes. Changing out the water won't slow down the process as the bacteria live on the surfaces, not floating around in the water column.

I totally did a 99% water change today in preparation to switch to fish-in cycling, and then I drove around to SIX different fish stores and didn't see any bettas I liked. :( So I'm back to fishless/liquid ammonia cycling for at least another week. I'm thinking I'll have to order a fish if I want one I really like. ($$$$$)

Back
Top Bottom