Tank Location

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twestacott

Aquarium Advice Activist
I had a quick question regarding tank location. My son and I are looking at getting a 30 gallon tank for black mollies and are looking at setting it up in the front hallway of our house for visitors to see. My concern is that we live in Southern Canada where winter temperatures can reach -20celsius. It is a new house so there is very little draft from the door but when the front door is opened and closed and the cold air comes in from time to time will this hurt our fish or would we be ok with the tank heater running?

twestacott said:
I had a quick question regarding tank location. My son and I are looking at getting a 30 gallon tank for black mollies and are looking at setting it up in the front hallway of our house for visitors to see. My concern is that we live in Southern Canada where winter temperatures can reach -20celsius. It is a new house so there is very little draft from the door but when the front door is opened and closed and the cold air comes in from time to time will this hurt our fish or would we be ok with the tank heater running?

How close to the door are you talking about? :) Besides the cold draft I would worry about all the traffic coming and going, wouldn't want the aquarium to get bumped or worse!

I would say about 5 or 6 feet. We dont have a lot of traffic coming in and out as there are only 3 of us and we dont get a ton of company.

twestacott said:
I would say about 5 or 6 feet. We dont have a lot of traffic coming in and out as there are only 3 of us and we dont get a ton of company.

Then it sounds like a good place to put it, if you'er happy with the location. :) you do know you can't just have one aquarium, very addictive hobby and soon you will want another and another... lol

:lol: I am sure but we are just starting out and I do have an unfinished basement that will later on down the road get finished and could make a great home for some larger aquariums.

As long as the door isn't held open for long periods of time, like an hour+, or the tank isn't right by a window that you have open for long periods itself, i don't think you have to worry about the tank getting cold. Thats a lot of water, and it will take a while for the temp to drop.

I have a pond i flood in the back yard here in northern minnesota for skating. I run a hose from my laundry tub out a window to do this, and that window is right behind my 10g fry/QT tank. I was worried about the temp drop, but I have found that in a 10g, the temperature would drop from around 78f to 74f over 3-4 hours with the window open. My black molly frys' don't seem to mind it at all, and I haven't lost any yet.

My bigger concern would be bumping the tank as you walk by. Last thing you would want is to knock it over.

:lol: I am sure but we are just starting out and I do have an unfinished basement that will later on down the road get finished and could make a great home for some larger aquariums.

You know what would be sweet for the basement? Framing up a closet in your basement so you can have an in-wall fish tank. Keep all the unsightly stuff in the closet. All you would see from the room is the glass and the fish. No stand, no cords, nothing but fish.

Back
Top Bottom