Tank Maintenance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nostromo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tank is now 29 days old plus my aqueon 75 filter. My cycle is almost finished, my tank is beginning to look like it needs cleaned, but worried about doing it at such a crucial time my tank will be finished its cycle in a day or 2. I have being doing water changes during the cycle only at certain times when I was getting high readings, I have always left the substrate alone because of the beneficial bacteria, do not want to disturb it all. The inside of my front glass is getting a bit streaky its not green algae I have had my lights the whole time off tank is not in direct sunlight. I am thinking its my bacteria don't want to clean it incase it is. My airline tubing is brown in color, this happened when I added the nitrifying bacteria the very first time at the beginning of my cycle. Thinking this is what is on the inside of my front glass. My bio grid in the filter is blue and rectangular with small round holes in it, it is where the water flows through before it goes into my tank , some of the holes are turning white in color, and there is clear stringy transparent stuff in some of the holes which hang down don't know what this is. Will be getting my fish this week, so will my tank be okay until I do my first water change after I have had the fish then clean what needs to cleaned then.

My tank is now 29 days old plus my aqueon 75 filter. My cycle is almost finished, my tank is beginning to look like it needs cleaned, but worried about doing it at such a crucial time my tank will be finished its cycle in a day or 2. I have being doing water changes during the cycle only at certain times when I was getting high readings, I have always left the substrate alone because of the beneficial bacteria, do not want to disturb it all. The inside of my front glass is getting a bit streaky its not green algae I have had my lights the whole time off tank is not in direct sunlight. I am thinking its my bacteria don't want to clean it incase it is. My airline tubing is brown in color, this happened when I added the nitrifying bacteria the very first time at the beginning of my cycle. Thinking this is what is on the inside of my front glass. My bio grid in the filter is blue and rectangular with small round holes in it, it is where the water flows through before it goes into my tank , some of the holes are turning white in color, and there is clear stringy transparent stuff in some of the holes which hang down don't know what this is. Will be getting my fish this week, so will my tank be okay until I do my first water change after I have had the fish then clean what needs to cleaned then.

It should be fine. I would suggest at minimum a 75% water change the day before you get your fish. There's no need to hold off on cleaning the glass.

Thanks for your reply, I will go ahead and clean the glass, I will do a proper clean after I have had the fish for about a week. I will be doing a large water change the day before I get my fish

Back
Top Bottom