Tank mates!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cdepriest6009

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so i have recently purchased a 10g tank for my wifes beta that has been in a small1g tank i never knew that you could put anything else in with a beta but I have learned that it is possible. We was kinda thinking about putting something in with her when we transfer her over the new tank is still cycling at the moment so I havent put her in it yet I really don't wanna kill my wifes beta she has grown very fond of it.

As long as you have something in there which other fish can use for cover or to break the line of sight Bettas can go with (almost) anything tank size appropriate which doesn't look like another Betta or need territory. My personal preference would be either Neon Tetras or Corydoras catfish. Cories will help to clean up any food missed by the Betta. I've kept 5 Cories with a Betta in a 10g before.

It sounds like you know about the cycle, etc, so that's awesome. :)

I third the Cory option. Lol.

My personal favorites are panda cories. They are so cute, and stay small.

Damon Salvatore is awesome. Enough said.

I third the Cory option. Lol.

My personal favorites are panda cories. They are so cute, and stay small.

I love Emerald cories. The shiny green color is so pretty. But pandas are nice too, oh and skunk cories are pretty awesome as well.

Depending on the color of your betta, well I guess it doesn't matter, rummy nose tetras are pretty nice too. I was just going to say if he was red they would match :p

Tracy, I was just reading your list of fish. I love zebra danios and am getting some soon!!

Thanks for the idea you guys we have been at my moms visiting for the weekend so I haven't got to get on her and I told her about what we could put in there and she googled them and she kinda likes the cories lol so we are going to go to our lfs and look at some in person.

I disagree with getting cories. Really, the footprint of a 10 gallon is not big enough to house them (as being so active). 20 gallons at them minimum to keep 'em.

Try ghost shrimp with the betta and if they do ok, try upgrading to Red cherry shrimp or amano shrimp.

I disagree with getting cories. Really, the footprint of a 10 gallon is not big enough to house them (as being so active). 20 gallons at them minimum to keep 'em.

I second this.
I once wanted to keep cories in a small tank, but all I kept hearing was how active they were, even in large tanks.

Oh. I didn't read ten gallon. Wow. Yeah. Shrimp will work best.

In loving memory of Pansa Princess, the greatest horse who ever lived. May you rest in peace.

But cories in a ten gallon? I think they do best in twenty gallons. Or more. But panda cories are lovely little fish.

In loving memory of Pansa Princess, the greatest horse who ever lived. May you rest in peace.

I never noticed any difference in behavior from 10, 29, 55 to 75 gallons which mine have been in (same fish). It was the same behaviors scaled up and down according to the tank. They got more food in the smaller tanks (less floor space to explore) is probably the only thing.

The did the schooling, laying ontop of each other thing, all the usual fun stuff. :)

Back
Top Bottom