tank not cycled

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmlong

Aquarium Advice Activist
ok, so ive determined along with the help from everyone here that my tank never really cycled. Well, there is fish in it now so it will have to cycle with fish in there. I've got a big spike in ammonia, more than ever since i set the tank up, it is .5. But the nitrates and nitrites have not moved, they are still 0. Do i even have bacteria in here? Guess they are still growing. From what i understand, the trites and trates will start going up once the bacteria start eating the ammonia and since they have not gone up yet there must be no bacteria eating ammonia. It gonna take time i guess. So i will just do 25% water changes every two weeks or is that too much, it's 20 gal tank. I've got a little slime on the glass too, nothing real bad but im thinking thats a good sign right? well, thought about cleaning it off with a scraper but if my cycle is just starting will this be good to do. My impression with this whole cycling thing is don't touch anything till its over, except water changes. And what can i feed my betta, he won't eat the pellets anymore, maybe like one or two and he's done. I know he's hungry cause he races to the top when i open the hood and then he's like "ah forget that crap" well your info is greatly appreciated, thankyou

You can clean the slime off your tank. Please describe the slime--color? Is it easy to remove?
Your bacteria will be along--just have patience :D
As for your betta, try cooked, peeled peas (chopped up), and frozen blood worms for now.

you can't really see the slime, but you can feel it and it comes off relatively easy. seems to be just along the top closer to the water line all the way around the aquarium. where do i get the blood worms and will food i give the betta hurt the other fish? ive been feeding him separately, he comes to the top when he see me and over to the corner where i feed him, i only give enough to him so the others can't get it, then i give him some more, but lately he just don't like the betta pellets. thanks for your help

personally i dont know the difference between betta pellets/flakes. theres probally vitamins but ive never gotten any of those things.

as for bloodworms more lfs/chain pet stores have them. you can get the break off kind or cubes. personally id get the cubes because its alot cleaner etc.

can you give bloodworms to the other fish too? is this a regular diet or just a once in awhile kinda thing to switch up?

I would keep a close watch on the ammonia levels...I expect that you'll have to change water more often than every two weeks to keep it at a level that will not prove fatal for the fish. Check it every day. You'll need to do the same thing when the nitrite starts to show. Nitrite is a bit more toxic than ammonia.

sure. bloodworms can be given to any fish. besides the veggie eaters. i usually give it once every 3-4 days. and every other (usually) day for my puffers since they dont eat flakes. and every other day i feed them brine shrimp. but blood worms are more nutricious but they like brine shrimp better.

lol eat your veggies then you can have desert 8P

Depending on how many fish are in the tank, you may want to buy the frozen blood worms in a sheet. I find it is easier to break off just a little, rather than deal with a whole cube.
BTW--what other fish are in the tank?

yeah but i put it a cup and divide it between my 2 tanks because a whole cube is 2 much for my puffers. so i give like 1/3 cube to my puffers and the rest to my 10 gallon

4 danio's, 3 tetra's, male guarimis, 1 betta. the slime actually is just a tiny bit green but you have to look at it from the otherside of the tank to really see it, butit is there. how long do you think till the nitrates and trites show up? its been about 2-3 days of low ammonia.

I think you shoudl step up your water changes as well. 25% every two weeks with very high Ammonia may shorten the overall lifespan of your current fish. They may make it through this portion of the cycle, but may get 'gill-burn' if they don't acclimate well.

When I started my tank, my cycle never really began until week 4, and I was doing water changes everyday when the Ammonia was off the charts. At about week 6 they began to drop, but it was week 7 where Ammonia finally reached 0 and then I had a small Nitrite spike as well, but that thankfully lasted only a few days.

Overall my tank cycled in just over 8 weeks which was very frustrating.

I think you should change maybe 15% every other day. It won't harm any bacteria growing in the tank as long as your try not to disturb to many surfaces.

Anymore on the slime issue? That one has me scratching my head.

Back
Top Bottom