Tank number 2 is finally set up!! One quick question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Emclenaghan

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok, so I got my daughter her own 10 gallon for her birthday. I think I was more excited than anyone to get it going! It looks like a little replica of bikini bottom from Spongebob, pics coming later!

So, my question is, I filled it with water from my 55 gallon ( no tap water) and I swapped filter cartridges (it was a very tight squeeze) for now, putting the "dirty, old" cartridge in the new tank's filter. So, should the new tank be cycled instantly since I essentially just transferred some of my established tank over? I just want to make sure before I get fish. I want to go get 'em ASAP!!

it sh0uld cycle a lot faster,but monitor your levels for a couple days to make sure its OK.

You'll want to stock the new tank very slowly constantly monitoring water parameters, and keep a close eye on the tank you removed the filter media from. Depending on how much media you donated, there's the potential for the older tank to mini-cycle while it adjusts to having the beneficial bacteria removed.

I have 2 filter cartridges in the old tank. I only put one of them in the new tank and I replaced it with the new one from the new tank. How long do you think before I could trade them back? A week or two?

Emclenaghan said:
I have 2 filter cartridges in the old tank. I only put one of them in the new tank and I replaced it with the new one from the new tank. How long do you think before I could trade them back? A week or two?

Personally I wouldn't. If it were me, I'd just take a pair of scissors and cut it down to size so it fits comfortably into the other filter. The main goal we want with the tanks is stability, and even though it's not a big deal swapping seeded media, they're still likely to have different sized BB populations.

If you're using cartridges, you can cut a slit down the side and shake the carbon out (if it has any in there) into the trash since it's not needed so it won't fall out of the altered cartridge. I never use the made to fit cartridges, I personally buy the rolled up sheets of media you can just cut to size.

Remember that if you removed 1 of 2 filters from the other tank, it's likely you'll see small ammo spikes for a couple days while the BB stabilize. Make sure you have a bucket and bottle of water conditioner on standby for pwc's if the levels jump.

Yeah, I figured I would probably be getting a lot more use out of my testing kit again for a couple weeks. Thanks for all the great advice!

Also, I really had to jam my seeded filter into the new filter case ( the old filter is a 60 gallon, the new filter is a 20 gallon) I couldn't cut it because it has a hard plastic frame inside it. I am hoping that is ok? Maybe once everything starts to stabilize I will switch to the non- carbon media you were referring to, it sounds a bit more hassle free!

Also, I really had to jam my seeded filter into the new filter case ( the old filter is a 60 gallon, the new filter is a 20 gallon) I couldn't cut it because it has a hard plastic frame inside it. I am hoping that is ok? Maybe once everything starts to stabilize I will switch to the non- carbon media you were referring to, it sounds a bit more hassle free!

Your call, as long as it's in there and not restricting water flow too badly it's not a problem. My DT has a canister filter on it now, but if you saw how much stuff I had jammed into my old HOB...it was a joke.

The rolled up media is also more squeezable, so you can more easily jam it in behind the old stuff to seed it. Remember you never want to throw away a filter unless it is literally falling apart. A couple weeks before you have to dispose of it, cram a new filter in right up against it so the new media is seeded with bacteria from the old before you throw it away.

I think I am going to grab a roll of that stuff while I am out today. Great advice! I really appreciate your help!

Emclenaghan said:
I think I am going to grab a roll of that stuff while I am out today. Great advice! I really appreciate your help!

Happy to help :). Let me know how everything works out. The media should be pretty easy to find. I don't remember the brand I get, but it's from Petsmart and it's just a roll of blue mechanical filtration media. Should only be a few bucks.

I ran into Petsmart today and couldn't find the roll, I ended up just grabbing these ones that came flat in a box. I think they should work.

Back
Top Bottom