Tank off level by 3mm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kira696

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have been trying to level my tank with plywood, I put 2 pieces of 6mm plywood under the 2 legs of my stand and its off level by about 3mm still, I am worried because it was my bf who cut the pieces of wood and they were badly cut like not straight and odd sizes, i heard that shims that were different sizes were bad to use but we were quite in a rush and also couldn't find proper shims anywhere, the tank is filled not and not sure what to do :( Its a 57 litre tank if that helps. Should I just remove the pieces of wood? The tank is more level with them so worried removing them wood make things worse.

Two things:
-make sure the tank does not rock back and forth.
-make sure there is no gap between the bottom of your tank and the stand.
If your tank rocks it might tip over. A gap between your tank frame and the stand can lead to leaks, even busted glass.
I keep several tanks and not one is perfectly level, but they are close.
Good luck

Two things:
-make sure the tank does not rock back and forth.
-make sure there is no gap between the bottom of your tank and the stand.
If your tank rocks it might tip over. A gap between your tank frame and the stand can lead to leaks, even busted glass.
I keep several tanks and not one is perfectly level, but they are close.
Good luck

It is very sturdy doesn't rock at all, there is a very small gap between the tank and stand on one corner, like a millimeter or so but its hard to tell the gap size as its on styrofoam that came with the tank, gonna try and get a picture. worried now haha the stand is made for the tank by fluval so this is weird, actually so upset might just give up with this all to together.
Edit: I cant even fit a credit card under there, it only goes in by a tiny bit.

Attachments

• IMG_20170728_120029.jpg
    IMG_20170728_120029.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 82
I think you will be okay with that tiny imperfection. One of my big tanks also had a tiny gap between the tank frame and stand. I shimmed it up as best I could, but still the slight gap remained. I decided to fill it up. No leaks or cracks and the tank settled.
Only shim between the tank stand and the floor.
Some people place a thin rubber mat between the tank and the stand to help balance things out. That might work, but probably not necessary. Your stand was constructed specifically for your tank, not designed for a rubber mat.
I hope this helps.

I drained it took it off the styro foam and placed it on the stand alone and its fine, do i need thicker styro foam maybe? Worried when i re fill its just gonna have the gap again :(

I overlooked your notation about the tank resting on Styrofoam. Unless your instructions specify otherwise you are supposed to remove the protective shipping Styrofoam between the tank and stand.

I overlooked your notation about the tank resting on Styrofoam. Unless your instructions specify otherwise you are supposed to remove the protective shipping Styrofoam between the tank and stand.

The fluval booklet says to put the foam under the tank, the funny thing is its fine without the foam under the tank and just on the wood with nothing, no gaps nothing, but when i put it back on the foam i get that same tiny gap again..so confused :(

If fluval advises to use the foam I would use it. Since the tank sits fine without the foam, using the foam won't hurt anything. It will just flatten out.
Not using the foam might invalidate your warranty.
Relax a little, take things one step at a time, don't rush things. Keep in touch with AA and listen to what the experienced members have to say.

If fluval advises to use the foam I would use it. Since the tank sits fine without the foam, using the foam won't hurt anything. It will just flatten out.
Not using the foam might invalidate your warranty.
Relax a little, take things one step at a time, don't rush things. Keep in touch with AA and listen to what the experienced members have to say.
Ok thanks yeah i am still using the foam, its just weird the gap only is there when the foam is there, but fine without XD

The foam is a leveling mat. Have you filled with water yet? If not it should push down and no longer have the gap.
I did have it filled and the gap was still there :( its drained at the moment but my live plants just came so gonna have to refill, i hope if its gonna break it will show signs and not just burst randomly.

It should take time to settle. Watch it but don't stress. But enjoy the plants!

Thanks they were really hard to plant for me, first time using live plants. Probably should save this for a different thread, but i forgot to rinse my plants before adding them to the tank, i got them from LFS and hoping its ok :L

Back
Top Bottom