Tank on the edge of desk?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dymium

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 20L tank that I'd like to set up on my computer desk, however there just isn't enough room for the tank and monitor to both be on the desk fully. However, if I leave about 5 inches of the tank hanging off the side of the desk, I can fit everything. Will this stress the tank over time to the point of failure, or will I be alright? Worst case scenario, could I put a piece of wood underneath it to stabilize it?

I wouldn't put it on the desk hanging over the edge. Do you have anywhere else that you can put it? Can your desk support the weight and moisture?

I don't think 5" of a 20L tank hanging over the edge of your desk causing stress on the tank is much to worry about...bumping the tank enough to fall off is a whole other story though. 5 gallons isn't much weight.

5 gal is roughly 50 lbs when it is set up. That's quite a bit of weight to be hanging off the side of a desk. The integrity of the glass would probably be compromised without being supported.

Fishyfanatic said:
5 gal is roughly 50 lbs when it is set up. That's quite a bit of weight to be hanging off the side of a desk. The integrity of the glass would probably be compromised without being supported.

I'm just thinking that the tank not being able to stay there considering the length of it would be a concern. I do understand your point, and I didn't hink it'd be 50 lbs setup...good point.

is this a 20g long tank or a 20 litre tank?

Excellent point. However, I'd have to say I agree with FF regardless. It's just too risky IMO.

I'm going to assume it's a 20 gal long. If it's a 20 liter tank, that's a lot of the tank being unsupported and I'd be even more concerned.

A glass tank is supported only at the perimeters, and all 4 sides need to be supported. even if one side is hanging off the desk by just 1/2 inch, that would be enough to stress the seams & give you a leak down the road. Hanging off by 5" would introduce tipping risks as well. So I would never have a glass tank hanging over the edge, be it 20 liters or 20 gal.

An acrylic tank is supported at the bottom, so you can in theory hang over the edge a little. But 5" is a lot. My 5 gal has only a 12x8" footprint. Hanging over by 5" is almost to the halfway point of that tank & it will fall over for sure. Even for a 20 Long, it would be a bit dicey. If you were to try it, I would have the tank sitting on a large piece of 3/4" plywood so the entire base is supported. But you would still have to consider the structural integrety of the desk. A 20 Long weigh in at 160 lb. Putting that much weight on one side of the desk might stress it to the point of collapse. (Espicially considering that the desk is so small that you can't fit everything on it .... I personally would not put a big tank on a small table, period.)

I've kept a 20 gallon high on a real wood end table with no ill effects, but again, the entire perimeter was supported. But FF and jsoong bring up another good point that I didn't even consider- the structural integrity of the desk. The computer desks that I've had in the past were all made out of particle board, and while that may be fine for a computer, consider that a 20 long can weigh roughly 200 pounds... much more than the computer that desk was designed to hold.

I completely understand being on a tight budget or whatever, but you can buy a cheap metal stand for your tank, probably for less than 50 bucks if you shop around. And, there's always ebay local pickup auctions, as well as Craigslist.

Thank you all. The desk has had larger aquariums on it in the past (used specifically as a tank stand) so I don't have any concerns about the desk. The integrity of the tank, glass and seams was what I was worried about. So I'm going to have to figure out another place to put it i guess :)

Back
Top Bottom