Tank options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquaplanner

Aquarium Advice Activist
Started this topic on a different thread with a different topic, but no responses. Anyways, the thing is I'm getting either an Aqueon 29 gallon kit/26 gallon bowfront/ or a 36 gallon bow front vs the top fin 37 gallon. Which brand is better, if aqueon, which kit?

Started this topic on a different thread with a different topic, but no responses. Anyways, the thing is I'm getting either an Aqueon 29 gallon kit/26 gallon bowfront/ or a 36 gallon bow front vs the top fin 37 gallon. Which brand is better, if aqueon, which kit?

I don't know which brand would be better, but the shape of the aquarium (taller vs longer) depends a little on what type of fish you are considering. Most people will say go with the largest volume of water you can (37g). IMO you have to thoroughly inspect any tank you decide to get from top to bottom, corner to corner, inside & out because there's always a possibility of a flaw. Personally I have 2 10g Top Fins & a 46g Marineland Bow Front, all purchased brand new. I prefer the Top Fin's because they are longer rather than taller. My 46g Bow Front was purchased because it was a deal I couldn't refuse & it saved me around $200.

But I read more bad reviews about the filter and heater for the topfin kit!

Honestly, with any of the kits, you will likely be upgrading the filter and/or adding another filter & possibly the heater. You may be better off getting a good deal on a tank you want then purchase the items you need seperately (amazon has great prices compared to lfs). Just a thought! :)

aquaplanner said:
But I read more bad reviews about the filter and heater for the topfin kit!

I'd say there's always some who have a bad experience, I've had 1 of mine running for about 6 months with no problems. The other has been going for only about 6 weeks. When I looked at them on the Petsmart website most of the reviews I saw were positive. As others have said you might be better off buying everything separately.

I have the aqueon 36 bow front. I love it. It's been running for almost a month with no problems (knock on wood, lol). I did add a second filter to the tank because I didn't believe the one that came with it was enough. Heater seems great though.

Will get the 36 gallon then, deal at my local Petsmart are great!:) thanks for your help?

aquaplanner said:
Won't buying everything else separately cost more?

Depends. When I bought the 46g it came with a stand, light, full glass hood. I bought an Aqueon heater & filter that were both on sale. Because the aquarium & stand were on sale & I asked for more of discount because there were a couple minor dings in the stand, I actually ended up saving. Still wasn't cheap by the time I bought all the stuff that goes inside; plants, decor, substrate but it was worth it to me. So depending on how big of hurry you're in, you can find some really good deals in the stores or online. Have you checked Craigslist? Many people have found great deals on full set ups & individual pieces on there.

That's actually where I got mine cause of the great deal lol!

Thanks guys, my choice is the 36 bowfront, could you guys please answer my newbie thread?! Thanks:)

Back
Top Bottom