tank parameters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

petunia100

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 20 gallon tank that I've had set up for almost exactly two months. Needless to say it was my first tank so I did almost everything wrong, had no idea about fishless cycling, etc. My cycling has taken forever, way too many fish in there to start off with is the culprit I'm sure. However, I have only lost one neon so they seem to be toughing it out. (Right now I have three platies, three neon tetras, two lemon tetras, and two rosy barbs) My ammonia levels hit 0ppm about two weeks ago. However my nitrite and nitrate levels are still very elevated. The nitrate is now at about 40 ppm, it's been comming down, but the nitrITE level is still very high (i'm using test strips and the color is so bright it doesn't even register so it's got to be above 10ppm). This has not changed at all over the last two to three weeks. I expected a nitrite spike, but did not expect it to stay elevated while the nitrATE levels decreased. Anyone had similar problems or is this normal??

Petunia - Have you done any PWC's? If not, please do one asap. Get rid of the test strips and go for the re-agent drops (aquarium pharmecuticals makes great ones). I have no experience with parameters like yours personally but, levels that high are toxic to fish.

Forgot to mention it before, I have been doing a 30% water change once a week faithfully, I make sure to vaccume up the dirty spots well. There are spots where the fish rest that get extra dirty from the platies mostly. Should a do a more drastic water change? Both platies are pregnant so I don't want to make matters worse.

Definitely do frequent partial water changes and too protect the fish from nitrite poisoning you ought to lower the water level to create splashing, and add salt to the tank, about 1 tablespoon of aquarium salt per 10 gallons of water. The platies will do well with salt, and it helps them get oxygen from the water. Lowering your temperature to the lower end of what your fish like will also help.

When you do your water changes try not to disturb the gravel, but wave your hand over the gravel to lift up debris so you can vacuum it up. The gravel holds a lot of beneficial bacteria so during the cycle it is easy to kill off bacteria by digging around in the gravel - this won't be a problem once the tank is cycled. Also don't clean anything, like your filter, but just rinse out your filter pads or cartridges in a bucket of used tank water, or dechlorinated tepid water, so you don't kill off the bacteria held there. If the filter does not need to be cleaned, it would be best to leave it totally alone until the cycle is complete. Cutting back on feeding during this time will help keep waste down as well.

Good luck!

Also, I'd recommend when the test strips run out, to get liquid test kits instead. They tend to be more accurate, and won't be damaged if they get a little humid.

Back
Top Bottom