Tank ph

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newfrye

Aquarium Advice Regular
So my tank ph is currently 8. Every care sheet i read seems to recommend a ph between 7.0-7.5 for fish that I am really interested in. I do have driftwood in my tank currently, but it is relatively small to the size of the tank, not sure how much of a difference it is really having right now. I was thinking about getting a RODI system in my house, but wasn't sure if the investment would be worth it. My plan would be to use RODI water at the regular water changes to get the ph down closer to 7. This is obviously something that I would be doing over the next several months to ensure a smooth transition from 8. Anybody have advice on reducing ph safely, making sure the change doesn't fluctuate too much? My tank is a peaceful tank, no cichlids or rainbow fish. I would love to have a discus tank in the future, but I'm learning with some mostly hardy fish right now, swordtails, tetras, danios and Corys. Thanks for the thoughts ideas and suggestions. I would buy RODI water, but there aren't any local lsf stores within reasonable driving distance to me.

So my tank ph is currently 8. Every care sheet i read seems to recommend a ph between 7.0-7.5 for fish that I am really interested in. I do have driftwood in my tank currently, but it is relatively small to the size of the tank, not sure how much of a difference it is really having right now. I was thinking about getting a RODI system in my house, but wasn't sure if the investment would be worth it. My plan would be to use RODI water at the regular water changes to get the ph down closer to 7. This is obviously something that I would be doing over the next several months to ensure a smooth transition from 8. Anybody have advice on reducing ph safely, making sure the change doesn't fluctuate too much? My tank is a peaceful tank, no cichlids or rainbow fish. I would love to have a discus tank in the future, but I'm learning with some mostly hardy fish right now, swordtails, tetras, danios and Corys. Thanks for the thoughts ideas and suggestions. I would buy RODI water, but there aren't any local lsf stores within reasonable driving distance to me.

Drift wood will lower ph naturally

It has only lowered it by .2. Articles and other forums that I've read say that dw will only reduce ph by .2 no matter how much is in the tank.

Is it 8 from the tap? Did you test GH and kh? I'm guessing you simply have hard water. It's common and it doesn't change easily. It's possible that driftwood and oak leaf litter and peat in the filter would get you there eventually but simply doing your routine water changes would bring it right back up. And yeah, you're right that you either embrace it and go with fish that won't mind or you have to mix water each and every time you do a change. Whether that suits your time/budget allowances long term is really the question.

I have super high pH in my tank (8.3) and from what I understand from listening to other aquarium keepers talk and from asking around it seems like the common concensus is that as long as the pH is stable you can keep whatever you like in the tank (with the exception of super sensitive fish and imo tetras seem to not be a good mix). The difference is the fish have to be drip acclimated.
I am still in the process of testing this theory myself but logically the local fish store is probably going to have the same water supply that you do. Hence if they can keep the fish you probably can too.

Good luck!

PS: I have driftwood in my tank too and it does basically nothing. Do you know what your water hardness is? If it is really high the pH won't budge no matter what you add with the exception of rain water or r/o. At least that is what I have heard.

Hello new...

The vast majority of fish you get at the pet store will adapt to the vast majority of our public water supplies. They've been doing this for decades. A pH at 8 is fine. I would get some hardy, easy to grow plants and fill the tank. Plants are natural water filters and will help level the water chemistry. Remember, a level water chemistry is far more important than a particular water chemistry.

Don't fret over the pH. Just keep the water pure with large, frequent water changes and the fish will take care of themselves.

B

Okay. i won't fret too much about the pH after the feedback.

as far as plants go, i currently have a small patch of dwarf hair grass and have been doing the liquid co2 and liquid plant food, but i was wondering if i have sufficient lighting. currently i have a 1/4" gravel substrate and a sylvania flexbile l.e.d. light bar kit, 15 colors to choose from. Not sure if my current lighting provides what the plants need. I used the old flourescent hood, after the bulbs died, and put the led lights in there. i can easily switch back to flourescent lighting if needed for the plants.

thanks in advance for the advice.

Okay. i won't fret too much about the pH after the feedback.

as far as plants go, i currently have a small patch of dwarf hair grass and have been doing the liquid co2 and liquid plant food, but i was wondering if i have sufficient lighting. currently i have a 1/4" gravel substrate and a sylvania flexbile l.e.d. light bar kit, 15 colors to choose from. Not sure if my current lighting provides what the plants need. I used the old flourescent hood, after the bulbs died, and put the led lights in there. i can easily switch back to flourescent lighting if needed for the plants.

thanks in advance for the advice.

Well DHG needs at least medium light, if not more, and good co2 and fertilizer to really spread.

Okay. i won't fret too much about the pH after the feedback. as far as plants go, i currently have a small patch of dwarf hair grass and have been doing the liquid co2 and liquid plant food, but i was wondering if i have sufficient lighting. currently i have a 1/4" gravel substrate and a sylvania flexbile l.e.d. light bar kit, 15 colors to choose from. Not sure if my current lighting provides what the plants need. I used the old flourescent hood, after the bulbs died, and put the led lights in there. i can easily switch back to flourescent lighting if needed for the plants. thanks in advance for the advice.
hello! It sounds like your gravel nor your light will support many plants, as far as substrate goes.. Atleast 1.5-2" for the root system to take hold. LEDs seem to be hit or miss at this point unless you spring for the planted high tech rigs, what you currently have is probably good for viewing fish and that's about all.. Dhg needs a good medium light at worst..

Sorry for not clarifying. The gravel is 2" deep. I was referring to the size of the gravel rocks being no bigger than 1/4", not 1/4" deep. I will look into better lighting at my lfs.

I don't know about your LFS but if it's like mine, anything but fish is much cheaper online. Check out the board here for planted tanks and you'll find lots of experience with lighting levels and what it will take to get a 90 up to medium.

Back
Top Bottom