Tank Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishyfriendly

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and relatively new to being a fish owner. I had a betta for a few months on his own in one of those small tanks, but someone gifted me a 5gallon tank so I moved him over and got him a couple of friends (3 neon tetras, currently).
My experience with this tank has been kind of a weird one. I initially had 4 neon tetras in it with my betta, Nero, but then the smaller filter that I had put in the big tank (which was intended for the smaller tank but it was too strong so I took it out, it was perfect for this size) ended up causing me trouble. Over the first night, one of my tetras got caught behind the filter between it and the glass, and the other got sucked up into the filter input which apparently was perfectly tetra sized. Really awful to wake up to that.
Anyway, so I bought two new tetras to try again and a new filter that was safer for them, but one wound up getting its tail caught in the grating of the input. This is why I'm now at 3 tetras total and why I didnt want to try getting another...felt like having 4 was a bad omen, even though I really wanted them to school. These 3 kind of do but it is variable. I fixed the filter issue by wrapping the grating with a stocking.
So my questions are as follows:
- My betta likes to wrap himself around the filter tube. He does it often and I've noticed his tail kind of looks rough on the edges, as if something is tearing off bits of it. He gets along fine with the tetras, he chases them occasionally but stops almost immediately. He doesnt show any signs of rot or any other diseases, hes very active and eats regularly. Is there anything I should be worried about?
- I initially wanted to get a snail to put in my tank to help with cleaning, but I impulse bought the tetras instead. I know there's a rule of about one inch of fish per gallon, but do you think I could put a small snail in the tank if I monitored it well?
- Do you have any tips for feeding tetras? I've been putting the food into the output of the filter to get the water current to shoot it down into the middle of the tank but sometimes it doesnt, I dont know if there are any more effective ways of feeding them.

Thank you in advance!!

Attachments

• 20190418_114649.jpg
    20190418_114649.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
You should get a sponge cover for your filter intake. I've had them for all my aquariums and it really helps keep fish/their tails out of it.

Forgot to mention it earlier but you shouldn't always trust the 1 inch per gallon rule. Some fish need a lot of room because they are active, other produce a lot of waste.

Back
Top Bottom