Tank Rebuild...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Startingover

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So my 30 gal crashed killing EVERYTHING -.-; I was devastated, I lost my favorite fish that I had had from day 1. Starting tonight I took all the water out, pulling the gravel out changing it for either crushed gravel/sand, getting a brand new filter, basically a brand spanking new tank. I need some ideas on what to put in and set up. Help?!:confused:

Darn sorry to hear about that. Losing fish is always sad. I would suggest some mollies, they're hardy and if you want to do a fish in cycle they are good at kick starting it and weathering the spikes before it levels out. After that, maybe a school of tetras, and for bottom feeders a group of Cory cats and top off with some oto's. plenty of activity and interesting fish.

If you want a centerpiece fish a dwarf or three spot gourami fits in well, so long as the schooling fish aren't fin nippers like tiger barbs. Gl, keep us posted

Although it is disappointing that you lost all your fish I find it exciting starting a new tank gl with everything!

I am excited to start over since this time I can make it completely how I want it, I've tried mollies before I just don't like the look :/ My last tank was nothing but rainbow fish/Gourami and a couple odd balls, Like golden dojo (my fave ever! I had him from day one) I managed to save 3 of my fish by plopping them in dads tank, A huge angel fish who is going to be kind of the center peice, my ACF, and my flame dwarf.

Yea I had an aquarium wiped out by ick and unfortunately I wasn't able to save anything. It wa pretty awesome to start over having more knowledge of aquarium and couldn't be happier with my set up now my centerpiece are two red bellied pacus also have 2 four line catfish, 2 Angelica catfish, 2 upside down catfish, and a retail catfish.

What kind of filter do you guys recommend? I had the penguin bio filter with the wheel, And it was noisy -.-; I'm kinda leaning towards the C series fluval.

Right now I'm running a wet dry sump filter but I used to have a fluval 405 canister that worked pretty nicely

Aqua clear is a decent brand for the price, never had an issue. I'm using a marine bio wheel right now. I don't personally think a 30g warrants a sump, but they are great, just a little on the steep end for me.

Considering getting a 75g and turnings 10g into a sump, not sure how the expenses will run tho

I'm considering a fluval c3 or a fluval aqua clear. I have this habit of over stocking my tank and not realizing I did it, so I like to over filtrate just in case. And we finally figured out why my tank crashed -.- Chlorimine poising, bad water :/ the one time I didn't use RO water and bought chemicals from pet supplies plus, the chemicals were expired.

Oh wow that's lame. Ovefiltering isn't a bad idea. I run a filter rated about three times the volume if my tank, 75g filter on my 30g. Actually about 2.5 times the volume but whatevs. Use an air stone too, never a bad idea to keep surface irritation at a maximum, unless you're breeding bubble nesters lol

At this point I have no idea what I'm going to do, I can't find a filter that I actually like, Urgh I'm so effin picky. I've decided on the substrate finally, I'm going with a crushed gravel, I have several air stones so aeration isn't a concern lol the only think I'm still missing other then the filter is if I'm going to go with a full hood or just lights over the tank like I had before, I kind of want the full hood to maybe try and stop some of the evaporation, but I also kind of like the freedom of just lights over the tank, what do you guys think?

Well I ended up with the aqua clear by fluval, And here's the finished product :) well partially finished, I just have a bunch of feeder goldfish and my frog in there for now.

Attachments

• 262589_4275388577851_1909523256_n.jpg
    262589_4275388577851_1909523256_n.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 51
Back
Top Bottom