Tank repair , is it worth it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonibelle

Aquarium Advice Regular
Very stupidly, I left a tank on my back deck after I cleaned it out. :( It got a small amount of rain water in it and I guess it froze and cracked the bottom. It is an odd shaped tank (18 gallon, pentagon tank). Kind of strange since I have left tanks outside before and they were fine..and we really haven't had a real hard freeze..in any case, how difficult is it and is it worth it to have new glass cut and try to reseal this tank?

My 30 Gallon Tank is reconditioned, although I got it for Free works Great. I would get the Measurements and call around to different Glass Supply places. To see what a Replacement would cost. Tell them what you are using it for....

check this guys site out....looks like he has broken a tank or two....

Aquarium Fish Tank Build Aquariums

Hi you can repair the tank easily by cutting the old broken piece of glass of very carefully with a VERY sharp knife then seal a new piece of glass using aquarium sealant and no other sealant{they contain fungicide so are lethal for aquarium use}seal evenly on the edges and also inside running a 'bead' of silicone along to be sure.If its the base you can simple 'seal' a new piece of glass over the existing broken glass,after all it will be hidden by gravel or sand.
Personally though i would get a new aquarium as you are always checking to see if its leaking and get paranoid if there's ever any water that appears to have 'leaked' out so you must ask yourself which is best? Good luck(y)

Back
Top Bottom