Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-01-2005, 02:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

tank size for Queen Arabesque Pleco

My obsession with the Queen Arabesque pleco continues. I do not want to put it in one of my 29s b/c I'm thinking of putting a bristlenose in each one for algae suppression and cleanup duty. Since the Queen Arabesque is a dwarf pleco, could I put it in a 10 gallon tank with a dwarf gourami and maybe a betta. I'm thinking of trading in my panda corys and my neons from my 10 gallon, moving it to work, and putting in the Queen Arabesque pleco and a male betta. I know the betta and the dwarf gourami may not get alon but I'm willing to give them a try. If they look like they are not going to get along I'll get rid of the betta. The tank has a new 100 gph Penguin BioWheel HOB on it. The Queen Arabesque gets about 4.5" long. The dwarf gourami about 2". The betta about 2 - 2.5" long. So I'd be at 9" of fish at the most in that 10 gallon tank. Small tanks worry me b/c water parameters can be less stable than larger tanks, so I'd like to go with 10" of fish or less. Unless of course some of you think I could go with another fish. The ones I've selected limit the types of fish I could put in. My dwarf gourami is a flame one and is beautiful and a nice male betta would compliment it well. The Queen Arabesque pleco would also be an attractive addition.

Old 06-01-2005, 03:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Liveaquaria says 50 gallons is the minimum for this fish. They also list that minimum tank size for all 2" corys to be 30 gallons. I think they tend to be a little conservative.

Old 06-02-2005, 12:12 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to megladonsharky Send a message via MSN to megladonsharky Send a message via Yahoo to megladonsharky
I know someone who breed queens and she said a ten is okay as long as you are over filtered they hate nitrates and it would be best to under stock it ..
I have no stability issues double filter tanks and lots of h2o changes

3-4 gallon with 80gph ... Planted lightly three white clouds ( Birtha Clara and Delila) and some snails (mainly melodys snacks)

9 gallon with 130gph , heated with male betta (Trafalger RIP)Kaden ( a male betta)has moved in, pygmy cory (MaMa) , pitbull pleco(Metal), three preacox rainbows( Annabel, Glitter and Mondo) and various snails...
megladonsharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 12:57 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

IMO -- I would not do this. I think a 10 gallon is too small for the Queen Arabesque, and a betta and a gourami may get along, but in a much larger tank, probably not in a 10 gallon. It's too small for each fish to have their own territory, and aggression is more prevalent in a situation like this.

Also, the pleco is going to be a big waste producer. The amount of filtration needed for the pleco will probably make the betta uncomfortable. Bettas don't like fast water movement. I had a pitbull pleco and a betta together, and I separated them after a few weeks because I felt that the pleco liked the water temperature a little cooler than the betta, and the pleco required more water movement and stronger filtration than the betta. Once the betta had slow to no current and 80 degrees, he was very happy. The pleco was happy as well, with 76 degree water and some current.

These are all great fish, but I would not keep them together in a 10 gallon tank.

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 09:05 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks again! I've already nixed the idea.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:59 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to megladonsharky Send a message via MSN to megladonsharky Send a message via Yahoo to megladonsharky
Quote:
Originally Posted by An t-iasg
IMO -- I would not do this. I think a 10 gallon is too small for the Queen Arabesque, and a betta and a gourami may get along, but in a much larger tank, probably not in a 10 gallon. It's too small for each fish to have their own territory, and aggression is more prevalent in a situation like this.

Also, the pleco is going to be a big waste producer. The amount of filtration needed for the pleco will probably make the betta uncomfortable. Bettas don't like fast water movement. I had a pitbull pleco and a betta together, and I separated them after a few weeks because I felt that the pleco liked the water temperature a little cooler than the betta, and the pleco required more water movement and stronger filtration than the betta. Once the betta had slow to no current and 80 degrees, he was very happy. The pleco was happy as well, with 76 degree water and some current.

These are all great fish, but I would not keep them together in a 10 gallon tank.
You must have a warm loving betta mine with the pitbull are at 77 and both happy as clams.the betta and the pleco are best freinds... yes I know weird... my other two are at 74 and happy as can be..

3-4 gallon with 80gph ... Planted lightly three white clouds ( Birtha Clara and Delila) and some snails (mainly melodys snacks)

9 gallon with 130gph , heated with male betta (Trafalger RIP)Kaden ( a male betta)has moved in, pygmy cory (MaMa) , pitbull pleco(Metal), three preacox rainbows( Annabel, Glitter and Mondo) and various snails...
megladonsharky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pleco, tan, tank size

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com