Tank Size Suitable for a Betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquaman23

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I already have one male betta that is set up in a 10 gallon aquarium, but I want to get a second Betta and I already have a smaller tank that is fully set up with hood, lights, decorations, etc. The dimensions are 12" Long, 8 inches wide, and 10.5 inches deep. Is this ok for a betta?

That looks to be just over 4 US Galons.
I think you will find people have different opinions on the 'minumum' size to keep a Betta, but I think that is probably ok - assuming it is filtered and kept at a good temparature.

I prefer bettas to be in tanks 2.5g or bigger. Some people say 5g, but I don't think a filtered tank is inhumane, especially compared to a bowl. I don't heat my betta tank either.

One thing I can tell you is that my bettas have always been more active in larger tanks. So bigger is better in that regard.

Agreed of course the bigger the better :)

And sorry I didn't mean to Suggest you NEED a heater, just that you need a stable temp. I guess you can get away with more in Florida than in the UK(!)

Tjt34 said:
Agreed of course the bigger the better :)

And sorry I didn't mean to Suggest you NEED a heater, just that you need a stable temp. I guess you can get away with more in Florida than in the UK(!)

Yeah its different everywhere. Some will say that heaters are mandatory so I like to mention my methods when I can.

I keep a heater in all my tanks just to be safe but in warmer climates heaters aren't generally necessary.

I have a heater in my 5.5gal with my betta even living in louisiana with our summers rwally hot n humid i have mine running now to keep my tank at 75°f ..but we keep it cold n our house so if the heater wasnt on the tank would b n the mid to low 60s...also on the tank size i prefer a bigger tank i wouldnt want lower then a 5gal but i think mine is to small n want a 10g for my betta...i just like watchin him swim n think its cramped ..like they said just differences of opinion

Back
Top Bottom