Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-05-2018, 02:20 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Tank stocking - angelfish

I have a 30ish gallon tall tank (not 100% of size) that I plan to set up in the next few months. Looking for some stocking ideas, I had my heart set on angels but not sure if the tank will be enough for them? Any recommendations for this tank stocking

Old 08-05-2018, 02:27 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I am in a similar place. I was recommended either doing one Angel by itself in my 38 or getting some and letting them pair off and doing a pair in the 38 gallon.
I was told that some members on here have kept pairs in 29 gallons so I'm assuming 30 should be fine for a single or a pair also. From what I understand if you do a pair your other stocking options are limited due to tanks space and the aggression in breeding. If you do a single angelfish I would recommend getting a larger one as the small ones seem to do better in a school. But that's just from some things I've read so take it with a grain of salt.
If you do do a single corydoras catfish are one of the most highly recommended tankmates along with bristlenose plecos where other small pleco varieties. I've seen mixed results reported on keeping smaller Tetra schools with angelfish. Some seem to have success while others don't. I have also seen recommendations that include honey gourami, and dwarf rainbow fish (though dozer recommended for 4 foot tanks or better). Leslie I have seen some examples of rasboras being kept with angelfish.

Again all of this is just from research and some replies in my own thread. I'm sure more knowledgeable people will come by and give better recommendations and tell their experiences.

I currently have 5 small angelfish in my 38 and I'm waiting for a set to pair off. Once they do I will rehome the others.

Old 08-05-2018, 03:57 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've kept a single Angel in a 29g with 6 tetra glofish and a bristlenose pleco without issue. I'd advise putting them all in as juveniles.
Old 08-05-2018, 06:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I second King you can do it but personally I would do either the bristlenose or Angel but I tend to lightly stock my tanks. My glofish tetra and my angel were soooo not good with each other when I first put them together. They are both bullies. But they seem to have come to an agreement and now they just pick on everybody else in the tank.

Tags
angel, angelfish, fish, stock, stocking, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com