Tank stocking opinions please?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aneamals

Aquarium Advice Activist
29 gallon tank with:
4 male Platies
9 Cherry Barbs
8 Amano Shrimp
2 Nerita snails

Don't have a centerpiece fish because I don't have enough filter power. But eventually I could include another filter to the tank, and then get a centerpiece fish. Don't know what I'd get though. Definitely not Dwarf Gouramis as they bully shrimp to death. Or maybe I won't get any centerpiece at all. Maybe I'll just add more of what I have. Either way, opinions please?

AqAdvisor link

The barbs put a large limit on what fish you can have, especially for a possible future centerpiece. They will bite fins, of almost all fish.

Of course, if it weren't for the barbs (and if the water has no salt at all) you could have a discus as a centerpiece.

The barbs put a large limit on what fish you can have, especially for a possible future centerpiece. They will bite fins, of almost all fish.

Of course, if it weren't for the barbs (and if the water has no salt at all) you could have a discus as a centerpiece.
Oh, but Cherry Barbs, specifically, aren't supposed to be fin nippers according to many sources online. I am aware of most Barbs being fin nippers though. But Cherries shouldn't be for the most part.

Discus are really beautiful, but I don't think I'd get any though, as I'm still a beginner, and they're supposed to be a more advanced fish. But maybe in the future when I get more experience!

Hm, now I'm thinking of changing the Cherry Barbs for Glowlight Tetras because they have less of a bioload according to AqAdvisor, thus I could have more for less filter power. But I don't know, I could still just get a second filter and stick with the Cherry Barbs. I really like both fish. Don't know what to do...

Nah, I've decided to stick with Cherry Barbs. My water is too hard for the Glowlights.

Cherry barbs are by far the most peaceful barbs that you'd see. They also don't need to be in as large a group. You could have like a group of 6 or 7 and thatd be plenty, and that would lower your bio load. Do you have any ideas for a bottom dweller?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Cherry barbs are by far the most peaceful barbs that you'd see. They also don't need to be in as large a group. You could have like a group of 6 or 7 and thatd be plenty, and that would lower your bio load. Do you have any ideas for a bottom dweller?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
I was going to buy 8 Amano shrimp and 2 Nerite snails, but I've decided on just 9 Amano shrimp. Keep it simple. c: So now my plan is 9 Cherry Barbs, 4 Platies, and 9 Amanos.

I mightttt move up to 10 Cherries, 10 Amanos and 5 Platies, but I don't know if it's a wise choice for a beginner. It'll tighten my stocking to 86% according to aqadvisor, and I'll have to change 23% of the water weekly. I will definitely need a second filter for this too, but I plan to get one anyway. XD

aqadvisor is an amazing source... but I know of many people who stock their tank to 110-120 precent with no real issues. Of course you do need the filtration to support that as well.

And Amanoes rock!! :) they are awesomely fun to watch

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

aqadvisor is an amazing source... but I know of many people who stock their tank to 110-120 precent with no real issues. Of course you do need the filtration to support that as well.

Ok, thanks! That makes me feel better about adding 1 more of each.

+1, I'm at about 125% on aqadvisor and haven't had any issues, although I do keep up with frequent water changes! Shrimp are some of my favorite things to watch, i have Amanno in my 20g, they're really neat!

Fish are fun!! ???

Back
Top Bottom