tank will not cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jtjnnc

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 120 gal. Freshwater. It has 5 small angel fish in it. It used to be a saltwater tank. It is drilled with a sump that I converted to a trickle filter with 300 bio balls. I also added 30 lbs of aquarium gravel to the sump that the water is forced through ( i figured if under gravel filters worked this would be good - there is good filter fiber and a 50 micron pad to keep the bio balls and gravel clean). The pump is rated at 850 gph. The problem I am having is very high ammonia over 8 ppm. I am using ammo lock and the fish do not appear to be stressed. they are swimming gracefully and eating well and keep begging for more. It has been 28 days and I have no nitrite or nitrate. I understand that it can take 6-8 weeks to cycle but I am getting concerned that I have no nitrites or nitrate. I have been doing 20% water changes once a week but ammonia is still high. Any thought would be appreciated.

PS. I wish I had done a fishless cycle but I didn't read about that until to late.

Ammonia over 8 is know to stall the cycle. <It is high enough to kill the bacteria ...> I would be rather nervous knowing that the water is toxic & the fish are only kept alive only if the ammonia binder is working. <BTW - Ammo lock do have a half-life, it will wear out so you will have to re-dose.>

I would suggest doing a big water change & take that ammonia down. Even for fishless cycling, ammonia over 4 is likely to delay & stall the cycle. With fish, I would aim for even lower levels.

Do you have some used filter or gravel from an established tank? bacterium do not appear magically.

There are products that are supposed to have the bacteria that you need, biozyme I believe. But I find it easier to grab a filter medium from an established tank.

Don't know about biozyme. But BioSpira is one with the live bacteria. There might have been more products on the market since. <Look for live culture that is refrigerated. The dormant spores in a bottles don't work well.>

But seeding from a healthy tank is the best.

Don't know about biozyme. But BioSpira is one with the live bacteria. There might have been more products on the market since. <Look for live culture that is refrigerated. The dormant spores in a bottles don't work well.>

But seeding from a healthy tank is the best.

I Agree! Save yourself the trouble.
First, do a big PWC to bring the Ammonia between 2-4, find someone you know with a HEALTHY tank (or reputable LFS) and beg for a handfull of gravel. Put in a breeder net (or some use Nylon sock "unwashed"/New) and Voila! Instant Cycle. Save yourself the Rage and anger from "stalled" Cycling.

Back
Top Bottom