tank won't cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok. So far I have not used prime or Ammo-lock, but only change 1/3 water. Ammonia is still up there, no nitrites and no nitrates yet.
I figure that plants like hornwort would mess up my (not-) cycling, or am I wrong?
What is Biospira? I keep hearing about that.

Do you have anything that stays in the filter when you change the charcoal? I am not familiar with your filter, but what is in it to let the bacteria grow on? If you dont have a biofilter substrate in the filter, then your biofilter bacteria will have to establish on the gravel and decorations, which may not be too efficient (UGF's excluded). Whatever you choose to harbor the bacterial growth, that should not be changed for extended periods of time (months plus), and then never all at once. Is the sponge you mentioned in the tank or in the filter?

I have a cascade filter with a charcoal cartridge it it. The sponge, that I added 3 weeks ago, is in between the cartridge and the water output and I do not take it out. I also have stopped "deep-cleaning" my gravel, what was adviced to me 2 weeks ago. Now, I just "dust" the floaties when I change water, but not too thoroughly. Up until 1 week ago, I added Stress Zyme (apparently live bacteria) and stress Coat with every water change (almost daily). Did not make a difference. Initially, I only changed 1/4 once a week, until ammonia climbed to 1.0 and the fish were panting below the surface.
Other than that I have plastic ornaments and plastic plants, that I do not clean.
I am puzzled. Thought I would get a low-maintenance pet for my kid. LOL.

Back
Top Bottom