Tankmate for neons in a 10 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mtncrux

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 10 gallon tank with 4 neon tetras, 4 nerite snails and one African dwarf frog.

PH 7.2, temp 79F. Fairly soft water. Filter is a whisper 10i.

I would like to have some sort of centerpiece fish in the tank. What would be a good choice?

I was all set on a dwarf gourami, but then I read that they are prone to diseases due to poor breeding practices. Is that true?

I am looking for a hardy fish that I can keep in a 10 gallon for a long time.

What about a betta, or a german ram? Would those be hardier than a dwarf gourami?

My whisper 10i filter is not very big, but I fear that my filter might produce too much current for a betta. Is that a concern?

Thanks!
-David

Rams shouldn't be in a 10 gallon tank. I have even heard of people saying they shouldn't be in 20 gallons...

Secondly, a honey gourami might be a better choice. They are generally hardier, more docile, and IMO easier to keep. When picking one out, look for one that is brightly colored, doesn't have clamped fins, visible wounds, scales lost or sticking out, or anything abnormal. Doing this will ensure that you get a healthy one. Plus, although it sounds inhumane, if it dies you can always get another one. The reality is that they will be happier in your tank than the pet stores tank or some other tanks.

Rams shouldn't be in a 10 gallon tank. I have even heard of people saying they shouldn't be in 20 gallons...

Secondly, a honey gourami might be a better choice. They are generally hardier, more docile, and IMO easier to keep. When picking one out, look for one that is brightly colored, doesn't have clamped fins, visible wounds, scales lost or sticking out, or anything abnormal. Doing this will ensure that you get a healthy one. Plus, although it sounds inhumane, if it dies you can always get another one. The reality is that they will be happier in your tank than the pet stores tank or some other tanks.

Ditto! To this!

I agree with the others on the Honey Gourami, it would make a great center piece. So would a really colorful Moon Tail Betta. But i would also up the Neons to 5 if not 6 just because they are happier in schools of at least 5, and even happier the bigger the school.

Agree against the ram, however if you like dwarf gouramis then by all means get one. They aren't quite as fragile as everyone says. They are basically in the same boat as neon tetras with sensitivity. All things considered, dwarf gouramis are still a nice hardy beginner fish.

I would like to point out though that the upper temperature limit for neon tetras is 74 degrees. You might want to drop your temp a bit.

I would like to point out though that the upper temperature limit for neon tetras is 74 degrees. You might want to drop your temp a bit.

I wouldn't agree with this myself, I keep and have for many, a school of about 10 neons in an 80 degree tank. Fish are healthy, and look happy to me. As a matter of fact, and it's just a theory, I had a harder time keeping neons alive when my water sat at 75. They would die with no apparent reason. I think they are happier with the warmer temp.

Cardinals are the ones that are more suited to higher temps. I've also had both of my LFS suggest the same thing to me as well as in Live Aquarias parameters for them.

Most places, even online, would say their temp range is between 71 and up to 80. I speak just from experience. All neons I've ever had around 75 degrees died within a couple days for no apparent reason. As soon as I bumped up to 80, they stayed alive. I've had 2 schools of at least 10 running this way for months and all are happy. This is my experience.

I agree with the suggestion for the honey gourami. I do not agree that you can ensure getting a healthy specimen by a thorough visual inspection... sometimes it just doesn't work that way.

I also agree that a ram would not be a good choice for this tank. I do not agree that rams are always a bad choice for a 10 gallon tank, and the people saying that 20 gallons is too small, well that's just kind of ridiculous IMO. I know some people breeding a lot of rams that keep adult breeding pairs in 10 gallon tanks, no other tankmates. I have bred rams in a 10 gallon tank, as well as some Apistogramma. It would not be something I'd suggest to a beginner, but to say that they should not be kept in a 10 gallon as an absolute is incorrect IMO.

I agree with the suggestion for the honey gourami. I do not agree that you can ensure getting a healthy specimen by a thorough visual inspection... sometimes it just doesn't work that way.

I also agree that a ram would not be a good choice for this tank. I do not agree that rams are always a bad choice for a 10 gallon tank, and the people saying that 20 gallons is too small, well that's just kind of ridiculous IMO. I know some people breeding a lot of rams that keep adult breeding pairs in 10 gallon tanks, no other tankmates. I have bred rams in a 10 gallon tank, as well as some Apistogramma. It would not be something I'd suggest to a beginner, but to say that they should not be kept in a 10 gallon as an absolute is incorrect IMO.

Yeah, the honey gourami inspection was my fault; worded wrong.

I didn't mean for it to be a guarantee, but more of a recommendation to encourage success. It definitely helps though! (y)

Back
Top Bottom