Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-18-2011, 12:44 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

tankmate ideas

Hey everyone.....looking for ideas for new tankmates. I'm new to fish keeping so they must be hearty tolerant forgiving fish. I currently have zebra danios, 4 of them, in a 40 gal tank. Suggestions?

Old 09-18-2011, 12:45 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Fill out the zebras to like 8 first of all

Old 09-18-2011, 01:58 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

I do plan on getting more danios, but would like another kind too.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:01 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Could do an angel pair but im not sure how tolerant they would be. Usually semi sensetive fish. Some gouramis?
Old 09-18-2011, 02:03 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Maybe you should try answering the question first-what do you want? I could name a bunch of species I would want or would love in a forty gallon that maybe you wouldn't like. What do you want in this tank?
Old 09-18-2011, 03:18 AM   #6
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Remember, fish all have the same basic needs. Other than a few fish that die for no reason like GBR's, I wouldn't say any fish is hardier than another. It might take more to kill some, but subjecting them to that kind of environment would be a fail on the owners part.

Ultimately, in a 40g tank with just zebra danios, you have a lot of options. It's easier to critique ideas than to provide suggestions on such a wide open stocking plan.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 03:57 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well, been looking at web, and in some of our books, and right now we are considering swordtails, platies, dwarf gouramis, or corys. What do you think?
Old 09-18-2011, 07:33 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooRoo
Well, been looking at web, and in some of our books, and right now we are considering swordtails, platies, dwarf gouramis, or corys. What do you think?
I would so do cories! I love them and they're really nice to have because they can help clean up excess food, just don't forget that they also need their own food. I have a platy she's really nice, just remember if you get more than just one gender they will breed like rabbits, same with the swordtails. And also keep like 2 females to every 1 male. A dwarf gourami would be good in there too. All the fish that you said would be fine together. Have fun and remember to post pictures once your done
Old 09-18-2011, 09:40 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I'll second the corys I have 6 albinos and they are great bottom dwellers although they do better with a sand substrate. The danios will do better in a larger school so boost their numbers. I would suggest going to you LFS and look at what they stock, find something you like and then research it before buying. Don't always listen to the sales assistant about compatible species, they may just want to make a sale. That being said some LFS are very knowledgeable, so ask for advice anyway they can at least point you in the right direction
Old 09-18-2011, 09:54 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Fan of corys myself, I have two albinos that are 8? Years old I believe at least I inherited them from a friend who passed away, I just added 3 panda corys the other day.

Tags
tan, tankmate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com