tankmate ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RooRoo

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone.....looking for ideas for new tankmates. I'm new to fish keeping so they must be hearty tolerant forgiving fish. I currently have zebra danios, 4 of them, in a 40 gal tank. Suggestions?

Could do an angel pair but im not sure how tolerant they would be. Usually semi sensetive fish. Some gouramis?

Maybe you should try answering the question first-what do you want? I could name a bunch of species I would want or would love in a forty gallon that maybe you wouldn't like. What do you want in this tank?

Remember, fish all have the same basic needs. Other than a few fish that die for no reason like GBR's, I wouldn't say any fish is hardier than another. It might take more to kill some, but subjecting them to that kind of environment would be a fail on the owners part.

Ultimately, in a 40g tank with just zebra danios, you have a lot of options. It's easier to critique ideas than to provide suggestions on such a wide open stocking plan.

Well, been looking at web, and in some of our books, and right now we are considering swordtails, platies, dwarf gouramis, or corys. What do you think?

RooRoo said:
Well, been looking at web, and in some of our books, and right now we are considering swordtails, platies, dwarf gouramis, or corys. What do you think?

I would so do cories! I love them and they're really nice to have because they can help clean up excess food, just don't forget that they also need their own food. I have a platy she's really nice, just remember if you get more than just one gender they will breed like rabbits, same with the swordtails. And also keep like 2 females to every 1 male. A dwarf gourami would be good in there too. All the fish that you said would be fine together:). Have fun and remember to post pictures once your done;)

I'll second the corys I have 6 albinos and they are great bottom dwellers although they do better with a sand substrate. The danios will do better in a larger school so boost their numbers. I would suggest going to you LFS and look at what they stock, find something you like and then research it before buying. Don't always listen to the sales assistant about compatible species, they may just want to make a sale. That being said some LFS are very knowledgeable, so ask for advice anyway they can at least point you in the right direction

Fan of corys myself, I have two albinos that are 8? Years old I believe at least I inherited them from a friend who passed away, I just added 3 panda corys the other day.

With only 4 little danios in there now, how many fish can I add at once w/o a lot of problems? I understand there will be water changes, and testing while the biofilter adapts....but is there a ratio to keep in mind?

What about mollies? I have 3 silver mollies and 3 dalmation mollies. I also love my guppies (fancy, I have 4)
I have a cory too. I am getting him some friends today!

I'd add a small group at a time and give it at least a week to two weeks before adding another group. 3-4 fish give or take, it could be a few more if you plan on getting another school of something, for example, there's no sense in getting only 3-4 tetras if you plan to get 6 in total, get them all at once. Just remember that less is better when adding fish, as far as the biofilter is concerned.

However, this is also under the assumption that the tank is already cycled.

Back
Top Bottom