Tankmates for my Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chole88

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a ten gallon tank whose only resident is a male betta named Ziggy Stardust. The tank is equipped with an internal filter, a heater, plastic plants, a couple ornaments and a natural gravel substrate. I have decided that it's time to get Ziggy some tankmates, but I am having trouble deciding which combinations would work the best. The safety and well-being of my betta are my most important concerns, so I want to make sure I don't get any bullies or fin-nippers, and I also want to make sure that I don't overstock. I've been through about 8 possible tank set-ups but my current top 2 are:

-1 Male Betta
-1 or 2 Otos
-5 or 6 White Cloud Mountain Minnows or Neon Tetras
or
-1 Male Betta
-1 small pleco (clown or bristlenose)
-5 or 6 White Cloud Minnows or Neon Tetras

In case you couldn't tell, my basic template is a small school of peaceful middle-dwellers, and a somewhat solitary, peaceful bottom dweller. I'm leaning towards the minnows instead of the neons because I've heard that neon tetras can be nippy, but I could go either way with the bottom dwellers. I'm also looking to add some live plants, and I'm currently looking into hornwort and java ferns (I'll be buying a fluorescent light or course). Anyway, here are my questions:

-Which tank set up seems like it would work the best?

-Am I attempting to overstock my tank, and if so, what should I do about it?

-Which live plants are best for beginners?

-If my set-ups both look like they won't work, what are some other possibilities I could consider?

The first setup seems like it would work the best. (5 white clouds, 1 betta, 2 ottos). I don't think that would be considered overstocked.

There are lots of good plants for beginners. One of my favorites is java fern because it's a very tough plant and doesn't need alot of light. It's not demanding at all.

I think I've decided on the white clouds and oto's set-up. Any advice about these fish that anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

i would suggest the otos and neons instead of white clouds, of course there are so many different types of tetras too so you can contrast your betta's colors easily

One thing about Otos is that they are very stressed during capture & transport, and are often starved in the lfs, so can be sickly & don't last long.

Tank bred Otos would be best. Otherwise, I would suggest buying those that had survived a week or more at the lfs, and choose ones with nice fat tummies (an indication that they are eating & well fed). Even then, the initial mortality may be high, but if they survive the first few weeks, they tend to be hardy. One more thing - unless there is visible algae, you need to feed the Otos ....

As for white clouds vs tetras, I think it depends a bit on your temp. Bettas like the temp in the 80's. If you keep your tank warm, white clouds are not the best choice (as they like temp in 60-70.)

As for beginner plants - Java ferns are practically indestructable. If you have a bit more light, you can try hygro, anubias, crypts .... Plantgeek.net is a good place to look at plants.

If the safety and well-being of your betta are your concerns, then you wouldn't want to put him with tetras. I have seen a group of tetras gang up on and nip a betta. If you put a betta with tetras, would your situation be different? Possibly, but a 10 gallon is pretty small for a betta and a school of tetras, IMO. I would pick a small group of otos as tankmates. I agree with jsoong that the betta and the white clouds have different temperature requirements.

Another possibility is a small group of cories, say panda cories. Cute and entertaining in their own right, and should be no conflict with a betta or ottos.

I have a betta in a 10 gal with 3 peppered cories, and he seems genuinely curious about the little guys. Even trying to follow them into their cave at times. This they block by placing one cory at each entrance. Apparently it is a catfish only club.

Jeffrey-

I really like the idea of cories. I was initially planning on putting them in, but I read that they needed to be kept in bigger groups. It sounds like you have success with 3 cories though, so I might have to get a trio for myself. I have plenty of hiding places, so I think they should be secure without a large number of buddies. I had been worrying about the delicacy of the otos, so I think getting cories instead might be a very good idea. Hopefully this load won't be too much. I'll probably just have to do a couple water changes a week. Thanks for the idea!

Actually it is 4 peppered cories. lol I do not proof myself too much. If you stick with one of the smaller species of cory, you will be fine. Panda cories are another cute little one. Or dwarf, if you can find them. My peppered females even breed & lay eggs occasionally. Of course the betta follows and eats the majority of them. lol

It might be a bit heavy of a fishload, but it sounds like you know the value of PWCs, so should be no problem. Might even lead to a bigger tank for the betta with more catfish buddies?? :wink:

I like the idea of cories also with a betta. Otos would probably get along with a betta, but the cories probably won't contribute to the bioload as much as otos would. That may be a concern (a heavy bioload) in a betta tank since bettas don't like a lot of water movement associated with strong filtration.

Good point on strong flow and filtration. While in my fairly heavily planted 10gal tank the betta has no problem with water flow, I do cover the intake of the AC20 to keep him from getting a fin caught.

If you are doing weekly PWCs and keep the bottom vacumed clean, a simple sponge filter would be ideal for a 10 gallon. Ideal for a betta. :D

Back
Top Bottom