tankmates for neon tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spencelee10

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm thinking about using my 10 gal for fish other than my betta. I want to move the betta to a 5 gal so I can use the 10 for more fish. I want to keep neon tetras I'm thinking 5 or 7. Whatelse could I put with the tetras?

Every Betta seems different, but mine was fine with Neon Tetras and Cory cats and I have heard of many people having that combination.

bettas only attack other bettas. if you put your betta in a community tank risk may be to the betta because some fish will pick at it's fins

Well I wouldn't go that far... ;) Bettas will attack also anything they think is a Betta, even if it isn't. They'll attack themselves in a mirror, too. The line seems to be whether something has elongated fins such as Angels, Longfin Danios, Guppies, etc.

IMO bettas do well with neons, they seem to attack any fish that has longer fins like guppies. They don't like anything else that may be prettier than they are...lol

mom2reds said:
IMO bettas do well with neons, they seem to attack any fish that has longer fins like guppies. They don't like anything else that may be prettier than they are...lol

My betta is somewhat aggressive. I added 2ghost shrimp to his current bowl and he quickly killed them. How can I make sure he's ok with the tetras?

Is there any cover for the line of sight to be broken? Fake plants, etc? Did the Shrimp have anywhere to hide? There's no way to guarantee, some Bettas just are that way... But the majority of people shouldn't have a problem. I guess it depends largely on how hungry he is.

I agree with Tim. I would put some fake or real plants in the tank so there is some territory boundries. This would make the betta more comfortable also, as well as the tetras. neons are one of my faves...

Thanks for all the help. I think I'm gonna go with 5 neons the betta and 4 dwarf corys. Sound good to everyone?

Thanks for all the help. I think I'm gonna go with 5 neons the betta and 4 dwarf corys. Sound good to everyone?

Should be OK just watch your tank parameters, I would also add the neons first then wait a week or two then maybe the corys.

Yeah just to confirm adding too many fish at once can create a mini cycle and make the water parameters spike. Neons are minimal bioload so like Tess says I would add the Neons first.

Yep betta are good with mostly any fish that doesn't have long fins.
In my 10g I have six neon tetras,two albino corys,6 sunburst platy,and 8 cherry shrimp . Overstocked but with a aquaclear 50, cherry shrimps,java moss the filtration is holding up :)

Back
Top Bottom