Tap water has ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Use Seachem Prime when you pretreat water while doing your water changes..Great product...

Use Seachem Prime when you pretreat water while doing your water changes..Great product...

Been using that for the last 5.5 weeks (fish-in cycling)...not getting rid of it...do I need to use more than 1.5 capfuls? I have a 55g with 6 tiger barbs, 3 gourami's, 1 RTS, and 1 rubber lip pleco.....

You're gonna have ammo in the cycling process until the tank is cycled..so do your best to keep ammo&nitrites below .5ppm by doing water changes daily(if needed)..do you have a liquid test kit?

You're gonna have ammo in the cycling process until the tank is cycled..so do your best to keep ammo&nitrites below .5ppm by doing water changes daily(if needed)..do you have a liquid test kit?

Yes I have the API Master Test Kit......I know I will have the ammo during cycling but my question was since ammo is IN MY TAP water "will I ever SEE 0 ammo whether it is cycled or not?"

BTW...It will be exactly 6 weeks this coming Tuesday 10/9/12 for my fish-in cycle.

I have already had the ammo spike and my nitrite slowly began spiking 9/16/12 and began maxing off chart 9/25/12. I have been doing large PWC's daily to lower them to at least 0-0.25...is there anything else that can be done or do I continue staying busy (while waiting) figuring out what fis to home in my 40B and what low maintenance live plants I want?...simply eager to please my fish and their habitat but I can wait I have patience..just want to know where I am in the cycle and making sure ITS NOT STALLED

The point of cycling your tank is to gain bacteria that will consume the ammonia and bacteria, so yes once your tank is cycled, you will no longer see ammo. That's the goal, 0 ammo and nitrites, 10-20 nitrates. At any given time.

Back
Top Bottom