Tap water question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KeSs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just set up my aquarium and I want to start doing 25% water changes. However, how do I add such a large quantity of water? My tap water contains chlorine. I know that you can set water out, but I dont have any storage area big enough to keep the water out for a few hours for the chlorine to leave. Any ideas or is it ok to add tap water as long as I throw in some dechlorination chemical? Thanks

-Sam

Welcome to AA!

Adding water directly to your tank is perfectly fine as long as you use a "Tap Water Conditioner" treatment when you have added the water to the tank. I personally use Prime, it is a bit more expensive up front, but the dose is so small, a bottle will last for a really long time. It is also handy to help correct Nitrite spikes as well.

I would recommend using a python, they are great and make water changes much easier. It can attach to your sink or hose, and one mode sucks water from the tank, and another setting will allow you to pump water directly into the tank. It does not get much easier than that!

Good luck!

Welcome to AA!

Add water directly to the tank and add a dechlorinator like Prime. You do not need to "age" water.

theotheragentm said:
How long would you have to "age" water if you didn't want to use dechlorinator?
~24 hours

KeSs said:
Should you add cold water or luke warm water?
try to get as close as possible to the temp of the water already in the tank, i just do a feel test and get it close :D

Be sure that your tap water only has chlorine if you go the aging route, chloramines will not gas off and require the addition of dechlor.

Back
Top Bottom