Test numbers and filter ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krazymom

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well the ammonia and nitrite were both zero and the nitrate was 20. My water ph is high too, 7.6. I'll do a water change this weekend when I take out the other UGF. I only took out the one that wasn't working last week cause the water was so dirty from taking it out. I can't believe all the crud after just two weeks!!!!!!!!! I can't believe people want a filter system that burries all that crud in the gravel and lets it just accumulate there. Yuck. One thing I'm worried about though, is the UGF puts quite a current in my tank and I'm wondering when I take it out if I need to add something for that? I have a top fin 60 and another hob filter but they just don't seem to move the water very fast that I can see.

The other filter I think is an Aquaclear (not sure?), it just has one tank with a sponge and carbon bag in it. The water runs through at a good pace and the Topfin 60 is a double filter with two filter streams that run into the tank but the current from them just doesn't seem very strong. Do I need something in the tank to move the water around more? I don't know if fish like it sort of calm or if they prefer more current. I know they are all very active and swim a lot. The UGF shot out tons of bubbles and it looks like it makes a stream of the water more. Maybe I could still use the ugf motor to move the water without the tubes and undergravel part. You know take that stuff out and mount the motor to the top with suction cups only. There is a plastic screen so the fish won't go through the motor. What do you think?

Sounds like a powerhead. If it is, then that will work. I don't know, though, if the neons could stand all that current.

Will the other two filters in there be enough current? I know the water will have to move to get sucked in and spit out through the filters, I just wasn't sure what the fish like. You think it will be enough movement for them without the extra motor?

I don't know exactly what that one is cause it came with the tank and it is missing it's lid. When I was at the petstore I was looking at the filters and it looked like the Aquaclear ones. My friend Dan had it and the two UGF only for years.

I measured the spout where the water comes out and it 5 inches across (if that helps any??) The water does move pretty good out of there, I have it set to full filter speed. I want to replace it eventually with a good filter WITH a lid! Probaby another hob, I like the Topfin 60 a lot. I will have to give that one (topfin) back when my friend sets up her tank again in a year. I don't want a canister because my tank stand has no doors on it. The HOB will look better on my tank.

Back
Top Bottom