Test results

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StooBroo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All

I wonder if you wonderful people could look at my test results I've just taken and let me know if there's anything to worry about:-

PH. 7.4
Ammonia. 0.25 ppm
Nitrite. 0
Nitrate. 20 ppm

70 litre tank with 8 Guppys, 1bristle nose catfish and 5 Cherry Red Shrimps 3 plants been going two months.

:)

Hey! How long are the fish in the tank? Did you cycle the tank before putting them in or is this your first test result?

Hey! How long are the fish in the tank? Did you cycle the tank before putting them in or is this your first test result?

Hi, the Guppys have been in the tank five weeks,was cycled for a couple of weeks before that, the first test results were all negative as far as ammonia, nitrate and nitrite, the PH always been high due to Adelaide's poor water.

Looks like you're not changing out enough water. How often do you do pwc and what percentage? Also, is your tank planted?

Hi
I am doing 30% water changes ones every 4 weeks,will be doing one tomorrow and yes have three plants.

It looks like you've got a fish IN cycle going. How did you initially cycle the tank? BB won't develop without an ammonia source so if you initially set up the tank & just let it run that doesn't cycle the tank. Personally, I would test every 24 hrs & if ammonia or nitrites are >.25 do a 50% water change. Once you have 0 ammonia/nitrites, nitrates <20 for a week or so then your tank has completely cycled & a weekly water change should be sufficient.

It looks like you've got a fish IN cycle going. How did you initially cycle the tank? BB won't develop without an ammonia source so if you initially set up the tank & just let it run that doesn't cycle the tank. Personally, I would test every 24 hrs & if ammonia or nitrites are >.25 do a 50% water change. Once you have 0 ammonia/nitrites, nitrates <20 for a week or so then your tank has completely cycled & a weekly water change should be sufficient.

I agree with this advice!

I agree with this advice!

Sounds like a plan, just about to do a 30% change now will keep testing and keeping my fingers crossed, all the fish seem to be smiling even the bristle nose :)

Sounds like a plan, just about to do a 30% change now will keep testing and keeping my fingers crossed, all the fish seem to be smiling even the bristle nose :)

Regular water changes and testing will keep them in safe clean water. When the tank is fully cycled you can go to weekly water changes, but until then you just have to persist to avoid fish loss.

Regular water changes and testing will keep them in safe clean water. When the tank is fully cycled you can go to weekly water changes, but until then you just have to persist to avoid fish loss.

Carried out a 50% water changed, just letting it settle before testing again :)

You're testing before the water change right? Unless your test results were high there's no need to test after the water change, IMO.

Yeah i hardly ever test after a water change-mainly because my sanity can't take it!

Back
Top Bottom